The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have done two Kolsch brews,both pretty good.Simply brewed as per normal and carbonated up as normal.
As i understand it Kolsch is more a German version of our pale ales and not a lager!!!!!
Is lager not bottom fermented as against the Kolsch which is top fermented.
I did label mine up as psuedo lager though:thumb:

This is all very confusing for a simple ale drinker like me ( the ale being the simple one, not me). I made something that was supposed to be a cream ale, using Cali Common yeast. Fermented at ale temps but conditioned as a lager and supposed to meet somewhere in the middle. Ah I don't know about that but it turned out rather nice anyroad.

Been looking into kolsch and alt yeasts and it seems kolsch yeasts have a "winey" ester profile. Does the CML yeast have this or is it more clean?

My interpretation was a lager is a bottom fermenter and an ale a top fermenter so when kolsch is labelled as a lager yeast I would have assumed that it fermented at 10°-12° as opposed to 15° but it's all I have so shall give it a go.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

My interpretation was a lager is a bottom fermenter and an ale a top fermenter so when kolsch is labelled as a lager yeast I would have assumed that it fermented at 10°-12° as opposed to 15° but it's all I have so shall give it a go.

I have fermented it at 15c and it wenrt off like a rocket so it will definitely go down to 12c. I would use 2 packs of yeast though. I do do a diacetol rest but tbh i have never noticed any in the samples and it does not produce and sulphur smell. I cold crash for 2 days then add finings and bottle 2 days later.

I have fermented it at 15c and it wenrt off like a rocket so it will definitely go down to 12c. I would use 2 packs of yeast though. I do do a diacetol rest but tbh i have never noticed any in the samples and it does not produce and sulphur smell. I cold crash for 2 days then add finings and bottle 2 days later.
Thanks, that's good too hear though I never use finings but have three packs so shall give it a whirl [emoji106][emoji481]

I'm trying out the kolsch yeast in a cream ale type beer. I pitched yesterday eve aiming for about 15C. It doesnt seem to have started yet. Do people find this yest takes a bit a while to get going at these temps?

I have used Crossmyloof for a year now and they're great. Their yeast I have found to be faultless, I've used cider, country wine and high alcohol and the high alcohol yeast I got a wine up to 19-20% by my calculations, which is exactly the limit they advertise. Their customer service is equally great. Whenever I order I get an email asking how my last brews have been, remembering what I was making, and asking what the next order would be for whilst updating me on what they were up to. I've built a good rapport with them and will stay with them, at least their yeast, for as long as they sell.

I've used the pale ale yeast a couple of times, not really sure, us -05 is a lot better.
Using the krysalweisen yeast on a spiced dunkel weizenbock now, proper stinks of bananas at 18° and some clove and cinnamon which I was hoping for.
It's down to 1014 after a week, not as spiced as I'd hoped so I've done a tinkture to add later next week :)

I've used the pale ale yeast a couple of times, not really sure, us -05 is a lot better.
Using the krysalweisen yeast on a spiced dunkel weizenbock now, proper stinks of bananas at 18° and some clove and cinnamon which I was hoping for.
It's down to 1014 after a week, not as spiced as I'd hoped so I've done a tinkture to add later next week :)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i have used both and personally will be sticking with the CML US Pale

After my problems with the real ale yeast

I have used teh US pale on a 16 litre it went off fast, only tried the post fermented ale and it was lovely.. this was a citra and simcoe pale ale..

Really pleased with this.. Still in the bucket at the moment though.. so hope it flocs pretty good too.

Mine stuck yes, a freak occurrence by the looks of things, first and only ever stuck brew.. not given up on CML, I have used their US pale ale with great results so far.

I've changed my mind about the Real Ale yeast. I think the trick is to ferment it at the top of its fermentation range. I made a mild with it fermented at around 18C (iirc) and it was just to clean. But used the other half of the packet in an ordinary bitter. My kitchen floor was at about 23C (plus taking into account 1C/2C for fermentation temps to take it to 25C or so) and it was much more flavourful esterwise. I will be making another bitter with some Real Ale yeast soon

Can't say I have had a bad beer with the pale yeast. Must of used it over 20 times and always finishes at 1010 to1008.
@Mycul I am gonna do a salt caramel stout this weekend with the English yeast. Would you recommend a higher temp?

Latest posts

Back