Chemical taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my BIAB lagers has a terrible taste,Ive read some plastics can give off this flavour at high temps,does anyone else know anything about this? Maybe I shouldn't transfer from my boiler to my FV for no chill overnight?

One of my BIAB lagers has a terrible taste,Ive read some plastics can give off this flavour at high temps,does anyone else know anything about this? Maybe I shouldn't transfer from my boiler to my FV for no chill overnight?

I've had this a couple of times and never really got to the bottom of it, i've put it down to a bad batch of hops or I messed up water additions. Could have just been I didnt clean the boiler well enough. I've started tasting at every step now to try and isolate issues down the line.

I had this once with a ESB and had to chuck it because it was so bad. Like bigbud I never really got to the bottom of it. The only thing I could think it might have been was (iirc) I used a brand new FV to no chill in, so some of the chemical's may have leached into the beer.
Now, I always designate an FV that has had lots of brews fermented in it (one that hasnt been used to no chill in). Normally the most stained one :lol: , so I know that any potential chemicals would have long leached away

What kind of chemical taste are we talking about here? Metallic? Phenolic? Nail Varnish? A.N.Other?

I've had this a couple of times and never really got to the bottom of it, i've put it down to a bad batch of hops or I messed up water additions. Could have just been I didnt clean the boiler well enough. I've started tasting at every step now to try and isolate issues down the line.

Do you no chill by any chance?

What kind of chemical taste are we talking about here? Metallic? Phenolic? Nail Varnish? A.N.Other?

Yes I would say nail varnish (I drink this when I run out of homebrew 😉)
I pitched the yeast at the correct temp?
Who knows, Ive just ordered a SS fermenter and hopefully this will help

Latest posts

Back