First bottling failure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! Owing to various distractions I left a milk stout in the FV at fridge temperature for a couple of months after fermentation was complete.
I finally got around to bottling and the results have almost zero carbonation. I believe that I've allowed too much yeast to settle out of suspension.
I want to try rebottling with added yeast. Any advice as to how much yeast to add, and are there any yeast strains more suited to this?

Any advice as to how much yeast to add, and are there any yeast strains more suited to this?

I think the variable here is the amount of sugar, i.e. you only need enough yeast to consume the correct amount of sugar to carbonate (if you added a whole pack of yeast and no sugar, nothing would happen).

In theory, you could rehydrate a tiny (literally a few grains) of something like US-05, and use a pipette to pitch in to each bottle. But considering there may already be some unconsumed sugars in each bottle, you're doing this blind and if there's ever been a chance of giving yourself some bottle-bombs, this is it! So I wouldn't recommend it.

Drink it flat, and move on. Don't risk a face full of glass.

How has it been the bottle? I've had some beer take quite a bit longer to carbonate after cold crashing the FV over an extended period. If you have some carbonation, they will continue to improve the longer you leave them. Otherwise the problem is due to too little priming sugar rather than not enough yeast.

Back