too much sugar.......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yikkerman

Reaction score
Have spent the day bottling/kegging and making more kits - basically getting a stock on for the festive season !!
Had a few things going on at once and got distracted on phone and ended up using 2kg of sugar instead of 1kg in a Coopers Ausie Pale Ale. I was planning on tweaking this with the later addition of hops but am unsure now what effect the (considerable) amount of extra sugar will have on this kit ???
Any ideas??

It will end up stronger, and if you just used the kit yeast it might struggle a bit.
Just keep an eye on the gravity. If it sticks you might have to chuck some more yeast in.
But I'd dry hop as you intended..

Did you use just white sugar?
Personally I would say if you're after extra flavour which you obviously are as you're hopping it.
Then I would steer away from using sugar and try a brew enhancer, or as I do, just LDME.

Thanks for the reply Pete !
I used dextrose - it was the yeast/sugar issue I was concerned about so I guess its just a case of keeping an eye on the SG.
Cheers

It will end up stronger and slightly drier and thinner tasting but should still be good especially if you are going to dry hop.
With the Coopers kits, I tend to use dry malt extract or a combo of DME and sugar for the lager types.

I have found that Coopers yeasts are pretty good once they start but sometimes take a while before you see any krausen. Keep an eye on it to make sure the yeast starts to ferment; after that it should be ok

I think it's roughly an extra 1% abv for every 20g/L sugar
So an extra 1Kg of sugar in a 23L brew would be about an extra 2% abv.

Thanks fellas - at least all's not lost then !!!

No, not all lost.
Loads of people use the APA kit as a base and pimp it.

As Pavros said. Try using malt instead of sugar next time. It makes a huge difference. I generally use a kilo of malt and 50 grams of some kind of hops in that kit. A lot of people like cascade with it, but I'm not a fan.

I recently made the Golden Ale which is very nice.
http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/65/

Keep us informed. I'd like to know if the Coopers yeast gets through 2Kg.

Back