brewing water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casper

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me ,using the forum water treament calculator and brewing with supermarket bottled water i have the figures for
calcium
sodium
sulphate
cloride
magnesium
but when it comes to carbonate(co3) or alkalinty as hc03 or caco3 on the calculator would i add the bicarbonate reading from the label and on which one thanks Gareth.

Hi Casper

You need to buy yourself a Salifert KH/ALK test kit from a aquarium shop or fleebay if you wish to test for alkalinity. They are quite simple to use. However I am sure that some on here will tell you that you don't really need to worry about water chemistry to begin with and that bottled supermarket water is fine. I use good old Manchester tap water but I do test the alkalinity and use levels of all the other elements from a water report found on the water companies website.

Cheers

AG

Bicarbonate divided by 1.22 gives alkalinity as Carbonate.
I think :wha:

Hi thanks for your help, so after dividing it by 1.22 the answer goes in the carbonate (C03) box on the calculator i will look at water test kits as well thanks.

Latest posts

Back