Durden Park Recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
A bit of advice please; I'm planning my first Durden Park recipe Younger's Export Stout ,

mash for 180mins at 66C then 77C for 30mins; what is the best way to bring it up to 77C?, my brew length is 13.5L so I should have plenty of room in my 28L cooler/mash tun to add boiling water

they don't state any IBU for the hops, but am planning on Fuggles to about 95IBU, is this ok?

priming based on 1/4 ounce/G = 1.54g/L, and am going to use strong bottles, ie not lightweight, will this be ok? and it will stretch my patience to leave 6 months before drinking.

:cheers:

Good Ed said:
A bit of advice please; I'm planning my first Durden Park recipe Younger's Export Stout ,

mash for 180mins at 66C then 77C for 30mins; what is the best way to bring it up to 77C?

Boiling water if you have no way of raising it otherwise . . .it has a bonus in that diluting the mash helps the beta amylase work

Good Ed said:
they don't state any IBU for the hops, but am planning on Fuggles to about 95IBU, is this ok?
Get the book and it explains why . . .Basically in that time they had no way of measuring the alpha acid content of the hops . . .in fact they didn't know about alpha acids, so they just used a weight of hops . . .and altered it the next time they brewed the beer if it was too bitter or not bitter enough . . .In fact (OK not for the Youngers) often in the ledgers the variety was not stated as it was unknown . .but the farmer that produced the hops was. . .it is pretty much a sure thing that the traditional English hops would be used so Goldings/fuggles are the most current varieties that would have been around in some form or other. . . . IOW don't worry about the IBU value just use the amount of hops in the recipe (after all as I got told when questioning a recipe and suggesting substitutions "That was what was recorded in the ledger for that beer, are you brewing that beer or not?")

Good Ed said:
priming based on 1/4 ounce/G = 1.54g/L, and am going to use strong bottles, ie not lightweight, will this be ok?
I've used 207ml Budweiser mini bottles for my RIS . . . and primed . . . 15g in 9L (IIRC) and have no issues 18 months down the line with bottle bombs.

The Patience side of it is difficult to master though :whistle:

Thanks Tony, that's great. 6 months is a long time to wait, I may just have to sample along the way :D

Back