Question regarding water types?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Ipswich and did about 15 brews with tap water that turned out quite good, with the exception of a light summer ale that was, if I'm honest, rank (still drank it, though).

I recently did the calcs and added the recommended amount of CRS and the result was a) far too strong and b) not very nice.
Since then I've done several brews, reducing the CRS radically, but still not getting good results.

I am no chemist, and have very little understanding of what happens to alkalinity in the boil, so I'd be very grateful for any tips from local folk.

I'm in Ipswich and did about 15 brews with tap water that turned out quite good, with the exception of a light summer ale that was, if I'm honest, rank (still drank it, though).

I recently did the calcs and added the recommended amount of CRS and the result was a) far too strong and b) not very nice.
Since then I've done several brews, reducing the CRS radically, but still not getting good results.

I am no chemist, and have very little understanding of what happens to alkalinity in the boil, so I'd be very grateful for any tips from local folk.

If you can show us a copy of your water report then we can give you some pointers.

The full pdf from Anglian water is too big to upload, but these are the relevant values (Q1 Jan 2017-Mar 2017):

Alkalinity (as calcium carbonate) 195 mg/l (2016 Q3 report was 328.)
Calcium 112 mg/l
Chloride average 70.3 (46.8-88.7)
Magnesium 8.41 mg/l
Sulphate average 68.4 (55.2-85.5) mg/l
Sodium average 41.7 (41.2-42.1) mg/l
ph average 7.56 (7.41-7.68)

I have an alkalinity test kit, which is obviously a necessity given the big difference in the two reports.

Thanks.

Ok well to get your alkalinity down to roughly 20, ideal for a pale ale, you would need to add about 0.9ml/l of CRS. That will raise your chloride to about 130ppm and your sulphate to about 150ppm. Those aren't big numbers so I'm not convinced your water is the source of your problem. If you wanted to rule it out for sure, try a brew with Tesco Ashbeck or similar, and add a bit of gypsum or calcium chloride.

Thanks Steve.

I have tried CRS at that sort of quantity (26.5 ml to 30 litres) but the result wasn't good. It did taste of CRS (going by the smell of CRS, of course, rather than actually drinking it).

On the basis that it is possible to reduce alkalinity by boiling, do you think it might make sense to use some CRS in the mash but omit it from the sparge (and any top-up water)?

Hi everyone, I've just signed up as I want to get back into the brewing process I really enjoy (as well as the product!). Our new house, when it's built, will have treated well-water as its supply: Alkalinity 112, Calcium 25 (it's very soft, hard to get the soap off in the shower sometimes), iron variable from 100 to 500 ... we have the full analysis from the lab. I've had success with dark, malty brews with different water in a different town in the past, but I want to do a range of different styles; anyone with any ideas (keep it really simple please)?

I tend to use tap water and treat accordingly for the beer that I'm after. I use figures from a paid for water analysis. I found that my local water authority were reporting my water as having high alkilinity, with a high level of CaCO3 (around 230ppm).

Two independent tests, with samples taken weeks apart, revealed the water to have CaCO3 at around 20ppm and a different ion balance. If you are treating your water based on local authority figures and it's not working out, then get an independent lab to analyse your water. I had mine done by Phoenix Analytical and Murphy and Sons.

Also bare in mind that your tap water can be quite variable, so without physically testing it on the day that you brew, it's always going to be a bit of a gamble, but not necessarily enough to worry about.

Keep an eye on your mash pH, make sure that it's where you expect it to be and if it's not, adjust accordingly. Another option is to get a salifert test kit and confirm alkilinity before brewing.

Keep an eye on your mash pH, make sure that it's where you expect it to be and if it's not, adjust accordingly. Another option is to get a salifert test kit and confirm alkilinity before brewing.

Is it possible to adjust pH during the mash and if so how? Or is it a matter of making a note and varying the crs used next time you brew something similar?

Is it possible to adjust pH during the mash and if so how? Or is it a matter of making a note and varying the crs used next time you brew something similar?

I have adjusted mash ph on the fly with CRS, as long as your tun is prety decent you can get away without losing temp.

Latest posts

Back