How to degas wine with a home made degassing wand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Beaverdale Merlot kit seems to be taking forever to degass. Been shaking the DJ at regular intervals all day yesterday and today and it still looks just as full of CO2 as when I started.

So, here is my attempt at the D.I.Y. whip. :)

2015-09-06 13.30.58 (2).jpg

2015-09-06 16.23.57.jpg

I have changed mine from the original design in picture one to how it looks in picture 2, it makes it easier to get in and out of the DJ.

333333333333333.jpg

333333333333333.jpg

Yes mine was adjusted from the first attempt to the one I posted for that very reason. Need to get it in to DJ.

I recently cut the end part off as it was a pain to get it into the DJ neck, it now looks like the bottom picture.

333333333333333.jpg

3333333.jpg

I like the look of the degassing wand, has anybody made one the fits into a demijohn

Try and get a bendy flexible coat hanger, if they don't flex well they can break easily with sideways pressure and fall into the dj, :doh: don't ask me how I know!

EDIT: oooh er missus be careful, it was just like the white one in cavsab's post above!

You need to find the solid round type as you say the hard plastic ones are no good, DIY shops may sell something similar.

I'll try and get a pic of mine up soon, it has a nice little bit that sticks out like a two pronged fork and is nice and bendy, much better than the old adapted whisk I used before.
And I found a really bendy flat coat hanger that I have kept in case anything happens to the current one.

I wouldn't advise members using a wand to keep it going in the same direction as you are more likely to add air than release CO2, Phillwin told me he does switch from forward and reverse when degassing.

Anyone using their hoover for degassing?
I tried it with a demijohn and sparkling water and seems to be working well though the bought water is very gassy of course so I didn't try and finish it.
Any thoughts?

There are a couple of things that put me off trying this, modern DJ's seem very thin walled compared to older ones and vacuum cleaners are not designed to create a vacuum in a container I imagine they need airflow to cool the motor so you may damage it if you do this, you then face SWMBO, I will stick to the degassing wand. ;-)

Let us know how you get on if you decide to try it.

There are a couple of things that put me off trying this, modern DJ's seem very thin walled compared to older ones and vacuum cleaners are not designed to create a vacuum in a container I imagine they need airflow to cool the motor so you may damage it if you do this, you then face SWMBO, I will stick to the degassing wand. ;-)

Let us know how you get on if you decide to try it.

I have a VAX cylinder model which has a powerful motor. I assume as long as the DJ is filled to the neck there shouldn't be a problem as the air space is very small. Also my DJs are at least 20 years old and in good condition.
Will try it with my next gallon.

Would any of the wine saver type devices work on bottles? I seem to remember my dad having one that used a grey bung you attach a hand pump to to create a vacuum, and being a smaller bottle would be safer I think.

I have seen them used but it seems like a long process to me, a wine degassing wand will do it in a minute and they are free if you can find a round plastic coat hanger.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv-xPAL9Wk[/ame]

By round i mean -

yiko77kiE.jpeg

Not

$T2eC16Z,!y4FI,tzw9)1BSeRRfQC8g~~60_35.JPG

Latest posts

Back