Black Sabbath

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meant to say, I had some friends round for a beer-tasting evening. Eight of my brews, quite a mixed bag. Black Sabbath won hands down!

It's not like any other beer is it? I do think its appeal is down to the yeast and roast malt combination, and I should try the same yeast in other dark ales.

I need to order some of this magical yeast. Used both sachets in my attempt to get the thing going once it stopped. Might make a starter with it this time.

I'll drop a sample round when the 2nd one is also ready. My mate who I went halves with for stuff says the Amarillo/simcoe is very good. I tried one after a week. But waiting till they are proper ready before I dive in. Tasted good though. Sabbath. Then want to make a good English ale. My last one wasn't what I expected.

@Clibit that yeast is a bit hard to come by, but as its an 'estery' yeast, how would something like a saison yeast do in this recipe?

@Clibit that yeast is a bit hard to come by, but as its an 'estery' yeast, how would something like a saison yeast do in this recipe?

As bungle says there's a link further up the thread. I'm going to have a crack at this beast in a few brews time but I'm going to use MJ Bavarian Wheat yeast which as far as I can work out is similar to the mauribrew weiss (unless someone tells me different)

http://mangrovejacks.com/products/bavarian-wheat-10g-coming-soon

I'd be interested myself in trying some different yeasts in this but the MB Weiss yeast is not like any other I've tried. It's called a wheat yeast but has loads of the peppery spice and none of the banana thing. By all means give another yeast a go, a saison yeast might work well. Belle Saison has a spicy edge to it, would provide a toned down version I suspect.

Aah, I searched for UK only suppliers so it excluded them being in Ireland. Ta for that.

�£6.50 postage.... better get something else to make it count :thumb:

They do cheap LME, which a lot of people go for, if you do extract brewing. They have some cheap equipment too. Think I got my bottle rinser from there.

Back