Wilko Cabernet Sauvignon Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Oakley

Reaction score
I make this kit on a regular basis and the last three brews have taken ages to ferment. This one has been fermenting for almost 3 weeks now.
I'm using the yeast and nutrient that come with the kit. I also use a brew belt. The lot that's on the go now (hopefully for Christmas) is down to 1.015 - 1.010. I decided to add some more nutrient and give it a good stir this morning.
I've been making wine for over 40 years now (and I'm still here to talk about it) and do these kits to save the country wines for special occasions. Has anybody else had trouble with these kits recently?
I intend to get another kit going in the new year using Gervin yeast and a different nutrient.
Seasons greetings,
Pete.

I find wrapping the FV in a folded towel helps speed things up but mine are a lot slower this time of year even with it wrapped. (WB Sav Blanc)

Thanks Chippy. I do use a brew belt and the bin is in the kitchen. My cider in the garden shed is still fermenting so the Wilko stuff should be going like the clappers. The Wilko kits are really the only ones that I like, and I've tried a few.
Pete.

Well that worked. The SG had dropped enough by Sunday (the 20th) to add the stabiliser and finings.
Next time I'll use Gervin yeast and a different nutrient.
Pete

I prefer the Winebuddy version (often very cheap from Tesco Direct. Now comes with a very fast non-foaming yeast/nutrient pack. Also contains more grape juice concentrate than the Wilco version.

Back