BeerCat Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went to dry hop my Punk IPA clone and the Yeast is almost climbing out of the Youngs fermentor. So vigorous decided to let it settle down a bit and take some of the krausen for my next starter. Not often i see anything that impressive. Sample tastes very hoppy and definitlely going in the right direction. I upped the IBU and put most of the hops in late, skipped the 30. Cant wait to try this, shame will probably only get 35 bottles max.

Can anyone tell me if these are malted oats? As far as i remember they look similar to flaked barley and wheat. They don't look much like this. http://www.geterbrewed.com/malted-oats/

028.jpg

Apologies @DoctorMick and @ManxNorton i thought i had replied to this.:doh: Actually started a thread and found out they are naked oats not malted. Annoying as now i have the hassle of asking them to be replaced.
Anyway another disaster today when i went to get my 2l WLP830 starter out of the fridge and it was frozen solid. My 23l of Lager fortunately was not so figure that out. Do you think it will be viable when it defrosts? Very annoying to waste all that yeast and time. I pitched some CML Kolsh yeast instead. Sometimes i just think i am a walking disaster.

Just about to build my 4th STC. I really like them and they are so cheap. The box to put it in costs more than the unit. The Kolsch is fermenting away like mad at 15c ( on the right) and my Lager is going in the fridge in a few days time. I cant believe i have only recently started using temp control as its so easy and cheap to set up. �£25 for all the bits and a heat mat, cant go wrong with that. Not sure whether to risk using the frozen yeast as when i defrosted started sucking in air. What do you all think?
Tomorrow will be doing a BIPA. Got 200g of Caraffa3 and roast barley cold steeping and probably going to use Chinook, Citra and Simcoe and will stick with the CML US pale ale yeast. I want a dry beer.

002.jpg

Brewed a BIPA yesterday with a load of hops but i forgot to have a taste before i pitched. Gonna be a Lager tomorrow with the frozen yeast. The starter went off like a rocket. Unfortunately i was not gonna use that batch but i picked up the wrong demijohn. Hoping it didn't get infected when it defrosted and sucked some air in. Anyway good to know it survives. Has anyone use Challenger for bittering a Lager? I was thinking about it but probably going to use spalt.

5kg Lager malt
100g Carapils
75g Melanoidin

80g spelt 2.5I BU @70
20g spelt 2.5I BU @15
20g hallertau 2.1 IBU @flameout 80c steep for 30mins
WLP830 massive starter

Made the stupid mistake of adding too much finely ground Rye to my mash last night. Only thing i had to grind it in was a coffee grinder so ended up like flour. At 20% of the grain bill it was enough to cause a very stuck mash. After a while it would not longer recirculate so i stirred it and left for a few hours before stirring and recirculating again whilst heating back up. Still got 74% efficiency but the downside was i had lots of **** in the wort and got the first ever scorched pot since i have been using the induction setup. Pretty sure the beer does not taste burned though at least. Seems to of had a chemical reaction on both sides as i cant get it 100% shiny any more. Also fairly sure it has very slightly buckled the pot. Had to post this photo as it looks so gross. :mrgreen:

005.jpg

Bottled up some Lager today and it had frozen in the FV. I was going to let it thaw but the sample was really clean so i went ahead. Been in there a few weeks and didn't realise it was so cold. Was hard to get it out of the fridge as it was stuck onto the bottom with a sheet of ice. Last few bottles took forever as ice blocked the syphon tube and it was down to a trickle. Looks to be the lightest beer i have brewed so far. Looking forward to trying some in a months time.

001.jpg

011.jpg

016.jpg

The water will freeze some way before the alcohol so if you bottled before letting the frozen water thaw and mix back in then you may have some earlier bottles with a bit more 'kick' than the later ones :mrgreen:

The water will freeze some way before the alcohol so if you bottled before letting the frozen water thaw and mix back in then you may have some earlier bottles with a bit more 'kick' than the later ones :mrgreen:

I thought that too. It might end up like Russian Roulette. Share them with your mates and the one with the early bottle gets battered :lol:

Thanks guys i might actually try and do this again. I had a sample of the frozen Lager late last night and have to say its my best so far. Perfectly carbed in just under 2 weeks and clear. The bottle i drank was straight from the airing cupboard. Actually really crisp as a lager should be. Next time i wont use any crystal and may ditch the melanoidin and up the amount of citra. Of course it would be rude not to try another few bottles this afternoon.

After freezing 3 beers i have finally hooked up an inkbird to my fridge. Maybe the stat is not working correctly as was no where near max last time.
Later today i am going to have a crack at a NEIPA using up loads of bits and pieces.

Grain bill;
2kg MO
2kg extra pale
900g munich
400g flaked torrified oats
400g flaked wheat
500f wheat malt
60g caramunich 3
140g crystal 60
100g lactose

Not sure about hops yet or yeast.

Mashing at 67c for an hour then a 10minute mashout at 75c.

3g Apollo @60
5g Apollo @30
10g Citra @15
15g Citra @5
15g Chinook @5
15g Nelson Sauvin @5
10g Amarillo @5
15g Citra @0
15g Chinook @0
15g Nelson Sauvin @0
10g Amarillo @0

dry hop after 2 days and repeat day5
15g Citra
15g Chinook
15g Nelson Sauvin
5g Amarillo

Got the idea from @StrangeSteve thread here. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67516 Using the same water profile. Thanks Steve.

A bit late but just heating up some water for a no boil no chill saison. Aiming for 5% 20IBU split between M29 and Kveik yeast. Fermented at 27c and 35c. Will be using top cropped yeast from today to get them going. Thinking of doing a raw citra wheat beer with CML US pale yeast. Any thoughts?

Back