What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just mashing a Citra. Mainly Maris Otter with a touch of Crystal and Caramalt.
Mashing @ 68c
US05 if the postie arrives in time, otherwise Liberty Bell.

Started out doing a straight US IPA, then realised if I added oats it'd become an NE IPA so I did that.

77% Maris Otter
9% torrified wheat
8% Crystal 30L
6% Oats

Loads of citra and mosaic at 10, 5 and flameout, loads of citra and mosaic going in as dry hop.

Imperial Barbarian yeast harvested from the last IPA I did, sourced from the free sample from Geterbrewed.

******* fermenter tap started leaking though. The rubber seal has gone, think I've plugged it with vaseline for now...

Just brewed my Christmas ale - with Christmas Pudding flavours - as an experiment so we shall see what it's like.

upload_2018-10-7_19-51-49.png

Just mashing a Citra. Mainly Maris Otter with a touch of Crystal and Caramalt.
Mashing @ 68c
US05 if the postie arrives in time, otherwise Liberty Bell.
I'd be interested to know about your hopping schedule. I have made many a similar brew using Citra and will bottle one tomorrow.

I'd be interested to know about your hopping schedule. I have made many a similar brew using Citra and will bottle one tomorrow.
Hi @Duxuk
Schedule pretty simple, as follows.
5kg Maris Otter
100g Crystal
100g Caramalt
Liberty Bell Yeast
Mash @68c for 60 mins
Boil time 70mins
19g Simcoe Leaf @ start of boil
20g Citra 10mins from end of boil
20g Citra 5 mins from end of boil
30g Citra Flameout
Protofloc 10mins from end of boil
Pre boil 1041
Post boil 1050
Ferment @ 20c
30g Citra Dry Hop 4 days from end of ferment

I've made similar 3 times and found when I mashed fairly high (by accident at first) it was a much nicer brew.
Also I have dry hopped with 80g in the past with just a 20g addition @ 15 mins. That one didn't turn out as nice so I've gone back to the original recipe but with the higher mash temp.
Cheers, Ian.

My first ‘green’ beer with home grown chinook hops - managed over a kilo from one plant

Had a brew day on Friday evening after work:

Beer Name: Alice Porter
Style: Porter
Recipe Source: Brewdog (DIYDog)
Batch Size: 10L
Method: BIAB

Fermentable:
Maris Otter Pale - 1.32kg
Munich - 440g
Crystal 150l - 190g
Special B - 155g
Carafa I - 220g
Flaked Oats - 190g
Torrified Wheat - 155g

65 degrees C Mash - 60 minutes
80 degrees C Sparge - 10 minutes

Hops:
Nugget - 3 g (60 mins)
East Kent Goldings - 13g (20 mins)
East Kent Goldings - 13g (5 mins)
Sorachi Ace - 13g (5 mins)

60 minute boil

Pitched Safale US-05 yeast at 19 degrees C.

Had a SG of 1.069

Everything went to plan without hiccough, including working the mash around putting 11 month old daughter to bed.

Cheeky Wednesday Brown Ale is in the boiler.

Thought I'd put a brew on to build up the stocks while painting and gardening on a rare quiet day at home.

23L brew, total grain 5kg.
94% Maris Otter malt
4% Dark Crystal malt 160L
2% Chocolate malt

Mash at 67°C
Sparge at 75°C

14g Summit at 60mins
16g Challenger at 1min

This will be pitched straight onto the yeast cake from recent ESB (once I've bottled that this afternoon). Yeast is MJ Liberty Bell.

Going well so far and hitting all the numbers athumb..

Been bubbling away merrily, it's now day 11, still a steady stream of bubbles coming through the airlock. Guess I leave this for a few more days. Gravity showed 1.010 the other day, so a bit more fermentation to cover.

Quote original post:
Haven't been on here for ages and doing first beer brew this year ....

On Sunday, started Young's "Harvest Scottish Heavy" for 23 litres,
using Safale US-05 yeast (instead of the kit yeast),
1 kg of Muntons Beer Kit Enhancer and
0.5 kg of Wilko Brewing Sugar.
Didn't take OG reading (couldn't be bothered!).

It's been busy bubbling away since Monday, moderate froth at the top.
This will be my autumn/winter stash.

Hi!
I'm just about to rack a kölsch into secondary prior to lagering for a month. I'm resisting the temptation to bottle it now!
I think I used pale ale malt instead of pilsner malt (long story) so I'm calling it Not Kwite Kölsch.
Now that it's turning cooler, I'm ready to try an experimental brew in my fermentation chamber (no cooling). I'm going to brew a mild ale in an underbed storage box, open fermentation. This is supposed to enhance the malt characteristics of the beer.

Got a funky rye blackberry brett beer on the go at the moment. Brewed it last year with great success.
Thinking I may go with a saison yeast this time instead of the wilko yeast to see how that goes??
I've 3k of hedgerow black berries in the freezer and i'm going to use bottle dregs from last years batch to provide the brett..

Brewed what will be an orange infused Brut IPA today. Had a few issues with a smallish grain bill (4kg) using standard pipework on Grainfather. Grainbed compacted so much that wort wasn't reaching the level of the overflow pipe, Caused a little bit of air to get sucked in and hence some foaming. Still managed to hit 0.06 over my expected O.G. 1.050, so if the amalyse enzyme does its' work this could end up near 7%, which is a bit stronger than I wanted. Infused with some orange rind at the end of boil and hopped with mosaic and citra.
I've never actually tasted a brut IPA but am intrigued by the style.

Last edited:
Brewed what will be an orange infused Brut IPA today. Had a few issues with a smallish grain bill (4kg) using standard pipework on Grainfather. Grainbed compacted so much that wort wasn't reaching the level of the overflow pipe, Caused a little bit of air to get sucked in and hence some foaming. Still managed to hit 0.06 over my expected O.G. 1.050, so if the amalyse enzyme does its' work this could end up near 7%, which is a bit stronger than I wanted. Infused with some orange rind at the end of boil and hopped with mosaic and city.
I've never actually tasted a brut IPA but am intrigued by the style.

I just got from Copenhagen where I tried two. One was a "tiny rebel" that I wasn't massively keen on. Cant remember the brewery the other one came from but it was miles apart from the other really tasty. Such an interesting style, im defiantly going to have a go at one at some point.

Just brewed - well 3 days ago - and now fermenting an American Ale. It's my first attempt at an Extract brew with Steeping Grains. I have done Extract before but not this way.
So far it is just off the final gravity amount so by tomorrow it should be ready for Dry hopping with 50g of El Dorado. It tastes fine now so am looking forward to the end of November when I can get stuck in to it properly. Target ABV = 5.19%. The brew went as expected though I only boiled the Steeping wort and the Liquid Malts. After boil time I then added and stirred in the dry malts before chilling and topping up with cold Ashbeck to my Fermentor volume - enough for 40 pints plus trub losses.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Ancient Marina
Author: Alan Harper
Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 15 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.19%
IBU (tinseth): 43.05
SRM (morey): 5.01
FERMENTABLES:
1.5 kg - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (35.1%)
1.5 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (35.1%)
275 g - Holland & Barrats Malt Extract (6.4%)
STEEPING GRAINS:
1 kg - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (23.4%)
HOPS:
10 g - target, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 11.88
10 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 6.8, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 6.45
30 g - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.6, Use: Aroma for 20 min, IBU: 24.72
50 g - El Dorado, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 g - irish moss, Time: 12 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
4 g - Gypsum, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
4 g - Calcium Chloride, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 79%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)
TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Light colored and hoppy
Ca2: 359.6
Mg2: 2
Na: 20
Cl: 309.7
SO4: 113.1
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:
NOTES:
Another attempt at an American Pale Ale. The name is inspired form the name of the pub I drink at every Monday night at the pub quiz ( The Ancient Mariner). This time I am using Steeping grains to add a bit of bite.
I had a Marina once - though mine was an Estate car - the registration was BUS 519S but the label shows the same yucky brown body colour.
Uses Tesco's Ashbeck Water with added salts.
This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/713067/ancient-marina
Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-10-11 19:17 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-10-11 16:48 UTC

upload_2018-10-11_20-35-44.png

I made a Extra ESB this morning, based on the recipe in James Morton's Brew book, slightly modified to scale it up to 23L, but still hitting the gravity, bitterness and colour. Started at 8 am and had it in the brewfridge by 1 pm. It was probably my smoothest brewday yet with no real issues, ended up with nearly 24L in the FV, at an OG of 1.062, 4 points higher than predicted.

I calculated the efficiency to be 94%, always seem to get somewhere around that, yet rarely get much below 1.020 as a FG, maybe I need to check the calibration of my hydrometer.

I hope so - I've been wanting to make a grapefruit bomb since I started brewing and I've never achieved anything close to that. I think I've got my water treatment right now so maybe with the level of hopping and a yeast that's purported to bring the best out of the hops I'll get there this time.
It's been a while... did the Chinook give you the grapefruit bomb that you were hoping for?

Back