Beginners Guide to Water Treatment (plus links to more advanced water treatment in post #1)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right!!! Here I go!!!
Got two items like this, but forgot using them! Lol
Used the sachets...but my tiny brain doesn't want to work!

So the first one with water at17C
Reads ppm

The second one the Ph

Where do I go from there??
Any help of links to buy what I need be appreciated (I get confused, but showing the exact item helps)
Thx for putting up with me...so far lol

@Manxnorton unfortunately neither the TDS nor pH are terribly useful for our purposes, however a TDS reading of 192 means your tap water is rather good, and probably a decent starting point for treatment.

What you need is a Salifert KH alk test kit (eBay link here) to give you an alkalinity reading. Then you need to know your calcium, either using a Salifert Ca test kit (link) or by contacting your local water company for a report. You might get that online or you can email them and they'll give you it.

Once you have those two figures you're ready to make a start on treatment. For this you'll need gypsum, calcium chloride and either lactic acid or CRS. These are available from most homebrew stores.

@Manxnorton unfortunately neither the TDS nor pH are terribly useful for our purposes, however a TDS reading of 192 means your tap water is rather good, and probably a decent starting point for treatment.

What you need is a Salifert KH alk test kit (eBay link here) to give you an alkalinity reading. Then you need to know your calcium, either using a Salifert Ca test kit (link) or by contacting your local water company for a report. You might get that online or you can email them and they'll give you it.

Once you have those two figures you're ready to make a start on treatment. For this you'll need gypsum, calcium chloride and either lactic acid or CRS. These are available from most homebrew stores.
Thank so much..
I'm going on the net and get the report!! Reckon it'll be foreign language to me...lol
Shopping then!!
Chippy-T here I do again!
Report back when the take are complete...

Typical water report there, ie. useless. Doesn't have Ca or alkalinity values, but not to worry, that's what the salifert kits are for. The only point of interest in that are the chloride and sulphate values which show your water is particularly suitable for hoppy ales.

Typical water report there, ie. useless. Doesn't have Ca or alkalinity values, but not to worry, that's what the salifert kits are for. The only point of interest in that are the chloride and sulphate values which show your water is particularly suitable for hoppy ales.

:(
i cant wait to get the kits.....and report back to u m8.:thumb:
hmmmmmmmmm! hoppy ales...nice one.
ohhh! forgot the ginsun what eva it is...
tie it in with buying my ingredients for the next brew:thumb:

the two kits ordered....check
Gymsum...check
calcium cloride....ckeck
CRS (AMS)....CHECK:thumb:

Ohhhhhh!!!
My best time of day!! Post man arrives..
Having a brew and open the kits and then if you don't mind taking me step by step I'd really apreciate it!!
I'll make notes every Step of the way if u don't mind!! Exiting!!
BRB...

Ohhhhhh!!!
My best time of day!! Post man arrives..
Having a brew and open the kits and then if you don't mind taking me step by step I'd really apreciate it!!
I'll make notes every Step of the way if u don't mind!! Exiting!!
BRB...

I'm out of the house right now but I've been meaning to do a quick little "how to" for those kits, I'll try to get it done this afternoon :thumb:

I'm out of the house right now but I've been meaning to do a quick little "how to" for those kits, I'll try to get it done this afternoon :thumb:

No probs pal..
I've just done the alkanity test..
(Good old YouTube)
Right my thinking is I always fill my HLT from the hot water tap!(taking less time to heat the water) Is this going to be a prob?
If not the reading is:
5.4 kH value dKH
1.93 alkalinity
Haven't looked further what its means...
Now onto the calcium test...
TBC

Latest posts

Back