nelson smash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP's brew should turn out not dissimilar to Thornbridge Kipling, single malt to 5%, 40-45ibu of magnum and flame out about 50g of Nelson's, you can get the recipe in Euan Fergusons http://amzn.to/2uBwJPK book it's a great beer and a nice simple recipe.

I have that book and that's one of the recipes that I have put on the list to brew in the future

I have that book and that's one of the recipes that I have put on the list to brew in the future

I've just made the wort, its in its no chill cube at the moment, should be put to ferment this week. I've begun reviewing it on my site that's in my signature if you're interested in reading about it.

Let us know how it turns out compared to the Greg Hughes pale ale you've done already

Will do, they're similar beers but Greg goes for the single hop so bitters with Nelsons whereas Thornbridge bitter with magnum, I should have them side by side in kegs in a few weeks so can feedback then. My suspicion is the Kipling clone will have a greater bitterness than the Greg Hughes NS which is very gentle from start to finish. Lovely brew but I suppose, if I was looking for a criticism, you could say it has no real bite to it.

I remember reading something from the guy who used to be a brewer at Thornbridge and who developed Kipling. When he was discussing the recipe he said it was all NS hops. I've tried a few clones but never got the hop intensity they achieve; I just don't think home brewers can buy NS fresh enough to properly replicate the hit.

Ditch the 60 and do 15,5 and 0. Just did a pale ale using citra and was the hoppyist beer so far. 20g each addition and dry hop for a 10l batch.

Hahhhhhh! Racking my Brain where I got the 20g dry hops in my 10l batches...bingo! A pm from you ages ago!
It's was first time using citra and I'm hooked ever since..
In fact the citra smash was the best by far....the summer ale experiment was 2nd...but not a lot of writing in my brewday thread...coz the bottles are all empty :-)
Bri

Hahhhhhh! Racking my Brain where I got the 20g dry hops in my 10l batches...bingo! A pm from you ages ago!
It's was first time using citra and I'm hooked ever since..
In fact the citra smash was the best by far....the summer ale experiment was 2nd...but not a lot of writing in my brewday thread...coz the bottles are all empty :-)
Bri

Nice one Bri, glad it came out well for you. I have done the Citra twice now and the second one was not as hoppy. Lovely beer but not as in your face. Have a feeling i did not weigh the hops correctly as i was half cut. :mrgreen:

So i finally got around to putting this on today after a lean spell on the brewing front.

Aiming for a lower ABV brew this time i went for 4KG MO and 100g of Nelson.

I went with:

22g at 60min
12G at 15
12G at 5
54g at 0

Was a slightly modified Greg Hughes single hop recipe

Ended up with 1.050 which still seems a little high to me with 4kg of grain, was aiming for around 1.040. Still need to get that part figured out.

Smelt very nice going into the FV. High hopes for this one!

Cheers,
Greg

I have to confess that that has turned into a bit of a franken brew now!!!

So i checked the gravity on Saturday after 7 days fermenting and it was down at 1.010 and airlock activity had stopped, has cleared up really well.

I used the cross my loof us pale ale yeast for the first time and im well impressed.

Reason for the fraken brew is i dry hopped it with a random 63g pack of hops i had left over from a beer kit. Hops had been stored in the fridge and smelt very nice and fresh going in. Not really sure how this one will turn out but i have high hopes :thumb:

Latest posts

Back