Seasonal Forum Competition - November 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should be the theme of the November competition?

• Flavours of Christmas

• Berries

Results are only viewable after voting.
It should be at the top of the page but I see you are using Tapatalk which doesn't seem to like this site, try wiewi g the site in a browser in desktop mode, I use opera browser and it works fine.

To change from mobile to desktop version scroll to the bottom of the page and use the link.
Thanks. That is indeed it. Now sorted. [emoji16][emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

FFS, someone pronounce time of death on this poll before it goes back to a draw! I was all for Berries but I need to plan my brew!

I'd pretty much resigned myself to a Christmas brew and was already planning..,

Well, I currently have crops of blackberries, elderberries, gooseberries and juniper berries, so the odds are I'll be using one of them. Just got to work through potential styles to see what will work!

Sorry folks,been on hols last week with no access to PC and only seeing the poll addition and as it was still open I've voted on berries as I was planning on doing a mixed berry Ale of some description and this is definitely kicked myself into gear.
I currently have three red ales on the go with two needing to go to secondary and sounds like one is going to be racked on berries.:thumb:

Just checked the freezer and have removed these culprits.I'm thinking of trying two as I have two to transfer and pitch one to the raspberries and the other to the forest fruits.

07aa05df19b681f0ea3dd36128a9d34a.jpg
f9e4e36307e71d3c6434fdb9bc6950ed.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Clear winner! :lol:

Does anyone who was planning a Christmas beer but not a berry beer fancy judging? It's a really enjoyable thing to do and, most importantly, it's free beer!!!

I'm up for judging if there are no other volunteers as I was hoping/planning for a xmas beer.
Although I'm maybe not the best qualified person as I've never actually made a fruit beer, so if anyone else fancies judging I might have a go at a raspberry ale.

I've just brewed a pale ale using French Bierre de Garde yeast and Brett Trois, and I'll be interested in how the combination works with fruity flavours (it's been hopped with Ekuanot and Jester) so that might impact on my beer for this, but my current thinking is as follows.

Blackberry porter is a kind of obvious choice, so as I'm sure I won't be alone in that line of thinking (and given that there's a crop of things in virtually every hedgerow) I've decided to not do that.

I'm not 100 per cent with the idea of an elderberry-infused beer, because of the high tannin levels, so that's on the back burner.

A juniper berry saison does make sense in my mind, because of the spiciness it might add, but I don't know if the yeast profile would allow the juniper to shine.

I keep coming back to gooseberries, because I love them! A gooseberry saison would be simple enough, and I have a few Dupont strains in the fridge, but I also fancy trying to pair the gooseberries with a fruity yeast and some background zesty hops to try and deliver something fresh and tart. The fear is that the hops might dominate, which is a concern.

As I said, I'll wait and see how the WLP007/WLP644 blend tastes, and that might force my hand!

I've just brewed a pale ale using French Bierre de Garde yeast and Brett Trois, and I'll be interested in how the combination works with fruity flavours (it's been hopped with Ekuanot and Jester) so that might impact on my beer for this, but my current thinking is as follows.

Blackberry porter is a kind of obvious choice, so as I'm sure I won't be alone in that line of thinking (and given that there's a crop of things in virtually every hedgerow) I've decided to not do that.

I'm not 100 per cent with the idea of an elderberry-infused beer, because of the high tannin levels, so that's on the back burner.

A juniper berry saison does make sense in my mind, because of the spiciness it might add, but I don't know if the yeast profile would allow the juniper to shine.

I keep coming back to gooseberries, because I love them! A gooseberry saison would be simple enough, and I have a few Dupont strains in the fridge, but I also fancy trying to pair the gooseberries with a fruity yeast and some background zesty hops to try and deliver something fresh and tart. The fear is that the hops might dominate, which is a concern.

As I said, I'll wait and see how the WLP007/WLP644 blend tastes, and that might force my hand!

My thinking is a blackberry stout hopped with bramling cross...predictable but should be a good combination.

I've had a gooseberry sour before and the flavours worked well so I'm sure a saison would be a good un.

Just checked the freezer and have removed these culprits.I'm thinking of trying two as I have two to transfer and pitch one to the raspberries and the other to the forest fruits.

07aa05df19b681f0ea3dd36128a9d34a.jpg
f9e4e36307e71d3c6434fdb9bc6950ed.jpg

Is the red ale quite malty? If so the raspberries might clash. That said, there is a chance they might balance the malt well. It's an interesting idea. I reckon the forest fruits might be the better option.

I'm thinking a raspberry wheat. I might have to throw it in a secondary for a few days though as I don't imagine the yeast to be reusable after having raspberries on it. Unless of course I do the same brew again!

I just transferred two red ales one on to 500g of raspberries and the other to a kilo of forest fruits as the ale tastes sharp.
The raspberry one had fermented to 1.010 and after an hour the airlock is kicking off.
It's as well there is plenty of head space in the fermenter.
103187f8ae774e4a8bf6955b7fa87e43.jpg
7f0675fc9dc29e0573bd57dcab278e69.jpg

Is the red ale quite malty? If so the raspberries might clash. That said, there is a chance they might balance the malt well. It's an interesting idea. I reckon the forest fruits might be the better option.

I was wondering whether some cranberries might balance out an amber/red ale - I've noticed tesco sell them frozen

Latest posts

Back