No wonder we brew our own

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In our local spoons on Monday its £2.15 a pint for the guest ales with 30 pence off for Monday club so a pint is £1.85 and I always pop in on a Monday dinner to sample the guest ales

I don't mind paying higher prices for a good pint and to support small businesses. However when you are out somewhere and get charged £5+ for a pint of Bud or similar it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth... and not just the price!

In our local spoons on Monday its £2.15 a pint for the guest ales with 30 pence off for Monday club so a pint is £1.85 and I always pop in on a Monday dinner to sample the guest ales
Unsustainable and unrealistic prices, and why Wetherspoons and CAMRA are killing pubs.

And as for the thread title. No, it isn't why I brew my own.

I'm think this highlights the problem the pub trade faces, in that the media and retail sector (supermarkets) present an unrealistic view of what beer should cost.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I don't mind paying higher prices for a good pint and to support small businesses. However when you are out somewhere and get charged �£5+ for a pint of Bud or similar it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth... and not just the price!

I agree with this, I don't get many opportunities to go out to the pub these days and when I do I care more about being able to have a well kept and served pint of an interesting and tasty beer than I do about the small amount less that somebody thinks it "should" cost.

If wetherspoons and the like can charge lower prices why can't others?

Same reason Tesco can charge less for a sliced loaf than an independent grocery shop. Economies of scale, buying power, diverse revenue streams and probably more (I'm no business analyst)

How much should beer cost?

No idea! But I sensed an underlying view in the article that it should always cost the same, otherwise why would they be highlighting the areas where prices are higher.

If wetherspoons and the like can charge lower prices why can't others?
How much should beer cost?

At a guess its the same as everything, Wetherspoons rely on high volumes of drinkers and can then successfully negotiate cheaper prices on large orders.

The other reason I would suspect is image... Some places charge more to make it look like its high end.

Smaller pubs even in high footfall areas will have high rents as well so will really struggle.

My local ( I have 3 and somehow they are all keeping going...) may be lucky to get in 30 drinkers in an evening.

Sad times to be a publican especially in a quieter area.

Labour costs throughout the whole chain, from ingredients to the brewery to whoever pulls the pints. Will have a big sway on price fluctuations. Cheaper beer in low income areas, or from the likes of JDW who built the business on minimum wage zero hour contracts, selling short dated products bought cheaply, from large breweries that benefit from buying and brewing in bulk.

Of that £1.85 for a JDW pint, 80p to a pound will be tax. That doesn't leave much to spread around the whole industry that produced and served it. If all pubs charged spoons prices, the industry would collapse.

Unsustainable and unrealistic prices, and why Wetherspoons and CAMRA are killing pubs.

And as for the thread title. No, it isn't why I brew my own.

I'm think this highlights the problem the pub trade faces, in that the media and retail sector (supermarkets) present an unrealistic view of what beer should cost.

NO.spoons and camera aint
killing it it's the greed of the other brewery's like punch charging too much for their rich shareholders profits and the extorsionate govt tax levvy on a pint

I think also the culture of not drinking (that) regularly in pubs in making things difficult.

Borrowed from another website
Alcohol duty on normal strength beer is just over 18p per litre per percent alcohol:(Alcohol Duty rates from 21 March 2016)

That’s about 10.5p per pint per percent, so if you drink 4% strength beer, the duty is about 42p per pint. A pint of 5% lager attracts 52.5p duty.

However there is VAT as well, which is charged at 20%.

So if you paid £3 for a pint, just under £1 goes in tax.

So that leaves £2 for the brewery, wages, licencing, rent, business rates and profit...

There's just not that much money to go round so they put the price of beer up.

If people drank more regularly, the prices would come down....

In Wether's on monday,guest ales �£2.29 except Ghost ship at �£3.49.I use my Camra vouchers when i can.Trouble is now,most of the food items come with a drink and the vouchers can't be used!.
I think the philosophy when they (JDW)first appeared was, i will buy your beer in at X price like it or lump it and i dare say it's the same now which obviously does allow for lower pricing.

spoons charge less as they have lower overheads - they don't have any music in them therefore don't need an entertainment licence.

when was the last time you were in spoons where music was playing?

Not many of them show sports etc

I paid �£4.20 for a nice pint last week which annoyed me as it was a local brewer.

In cardiff there seems to be an influx of hipster place - decent craft ales but served in 2/3 sized pint glasses, but costs the same as a normal pint.

And the problem is the breweries. I know a fella that owned a nice pub up the road form my old man. set up a decent microbrewery (greytrees) and turned the pubs fortune around.

then the brewery started to demand more and more profits. in the end he quit and went full time with his own brewery.

it's rampant around here. decent lovely boozers being ruined by the brains brewery and turned into soulless gastro pubs

NO.spoons and camera aint
killing it it's the greed of the other brewery's like punch charging too much for their rich shareholders profits and the extorsionate govt tax levvy on a pint
Punch aren't a brewery.

The tax levvy on a pint is the same regardless of vendor, and has to be paid. And therefore integral to the cost of a pint. Which goes to back to my point that people are presented with an unrealistic representation of the cost of a pint. JDW do this, with CAMRA endorsement.

Punch aren't a brewery.

The tax levvy on a pint is the same regardless of vendor, and has to be paid. And therfore integral to the cost of a pint. Which goes to back to my point that people are presented with an unrealistic representation of the cost of a pint. JDW do this, with CAMRA endorsement.

This isn't unique to beer, its a very common discussion within food in regards to consumers unrealistic expectation of food costs. A whole chicken for less than a pint of beer is a good example.

The whole system is very much unsustainable but as long as shareholders of large companies are happy it doesn't seem to matter.

Punch aren't a brewery.

The tax levvy on a pint is the same regardless of vendor, and has to be paid. And therefore integral to the cost of a pint. Which goes to back to my point that people are presented with an unrealistic representation of the cost of a pint. JDW do this, with CAMRA endorsement.

OK,a pub chain that has just sold off some of their pubs to heinaken,same oss different stable, the one by us shuts now on a Monday because he can't get enough punters in and at the highest price for a pint in our town £3.60 as against £2.15 can you blame the punters,its just greed greed greed

I had a micro brewery for a year and in the time spoke to some other breweries and found out that Weatherspoons, punch and enterprise inns all have there own price lists ie this is what we pay for beer if you want to sell to our pubs and weatherspoon and punch pay just over half the market rate and enterprise around 2/3rds. The market price for a 9 gallon firkin is around £80-85 for a 4-5% ABV decent ale and the following is based on getting 65 pints out of one after wastage.
my local Weatherspoon charges £2.39 foe the guest ales after VAT £2 cost is £0.75 profit is £1.25
A free of tie pub to make the same would charge £3 after VAT £2.50 cost 1.25 profit £1.25
My local Harveys pub is getting screwed over buy the brewery and is paying around double the market rate (I believe most tied pubs pay about 1.5 times)
So £4.50 a pint after VAT £3.75 cost £2.50 profit again £1.25.
I would also expect £1.25 profit to work for a weatherspoon or any pub that is busy pouring pint after pint all day while most other pubs would need/want £2+

OK,a pub chain that has just sold off some of their pubs to heinaken,same oss different stable, the one by us shuts now on a Monday because he can't get enough punters in and at the highest price for a pint in our town £3.60 as against £2.15 can you blame the punters,its just greed greed greed
You just don't get it. £3.60 is the realistic price. CAMRA should, if they want to protect pubs and real ale, educate consumers to this.

You just don't get it. £3.60 is the realistic price. CAMRA should, if they want to protect pubs and real ale, educate consumers to this.

Oh I get it alright,well my pocket does to the tune of £1.35 every time I visit the bar and its still greed all power to JDW

Latest posts

Back