Sediment!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer3419

Reaction score
Bloody sediment!!

I currently have 2 different brews in bottles, a wherry and a stout. Both have sediment in the bottom of the bottles, not a massive problem with the stout as it stays there. But it is really spoiling the wherry. When i pour it i get a load of **** in the glass. Anything i can do or could of done to stop this.

The stout is great but the wherrys carbonation sucks!!!!

The only tip I can give is to chill it and be careful with your pour.

Yeah i know. The sediment in the stout stays in the bottom. Whereas the wherry comes away when poured, kind of flaky

Around 16-18

Its just the settled sediment that is causing the issues, clarity is fine, until the end of the pour

Around 16-18

Its just the settled sediment that is causing the issues, clarity is fine, until the end of the pour

Unless your yeast is sticking to the **** of the bottle always leave a 1/4-1/2" beer in the bottle and you shouldn't have any problem, time in a fridge should help with keeping it stuck.

The wherry has been in the bottles for 16 days. I used s-04

The Wherry will really benefit from 6,8 weeks in the bottle. Not only will the yeast settle and impact but the flavour of it will really come into its own. My Wherry's always seem to taste their best when I'm drinking the last half dozen bottles.

If you really desire a clear beer you have to re think how you condition. I drink damn near anything. But I do get embarrassed pouring my mates a cloudy beer. Some members secondary condition. Some cold crash. Some use finings and such. I do all and then I do a kind of third condition which brewers call brite tanks. Works great. But a ton of work. The brite tank will put out fully carbed beer to either keg or bottle. My brite stays at 3 degrees while conditioning. This settles out most of the yeast, proteins and such. Once you move it over it is clear and void of the things that cloud it. It's work but the outcome is good.

Other than leaving it to settle and compact and putting bottles in the fridge for a few hours before serving, there ain't much you can do with your current brews.
Next time however I suggest you leave your beer in the sealed FV for a minimum of 16-17 days, which should give you clear or nearly clear beer to package but with enough yeast to carb up. That way you end up with a thin yeast film on the bottom of your bottles, rather than 3mm or more of yeasty crud which clouds up as soon as you look at it.

Presumably you used the yeast which came with the Wherry but something else for the stout? The last, and worst kit I ever made was a Wherry and I blame its myriad faults on the supplied yeast. Use CML or Notty and yeast woes won't come into it. Now if you go and tell me that's what you did then I'm going to feel very silly and can't offer any advice to what's already been given.

Other than leaving it to settle and compact and putting bottles in the fridge for a few hours before serving, there ain't much you can do with your current brews.
Next time however I suggest you leave your beer in the sealed FV for a minimum of 16-17 days, which should give you clear or nearly clear beer to package but with enough yeast to carb up. That way you end up with a thin yeast film on the bottom of your bottles, rather than 3mm or more of yeasty crud which clouds up as soon as you look at it.

This is the most common piece of advice on these forums but I completely disagree with it. There is no need to leave the beer that long, once it ferments out a couple of days will be enough to clean up diactyl etc...if you have the ability a couple of days at 1c will drop out whatever you don't want in the beer. It's perfectly possible to have a good beer packaged in 7 days and it'll be no worse than if the was left in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks.

*disclaimer: I'm a hypocrite, my brews usually sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks but it's convenience more than anything else.

This is the most common piece of advice on these forums but I completely disagree with it. There is no need to leave the beer that long, once it ferments out a couple of days will be enough to clean up diactyl etc...if you have the ability a couple of days at 1c will drop out whatever you don't want in the beer. It's perfectly possible to have a good beer packaged in 7 days and it'll be no worse than if the was left in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks.

*disclaimer: I'm a hypocrite, my brews usually sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks but it's convenience more than anything else.

The DOC nailed it!!

Sorry wife's throwing up, gotta take a break from the forum to do my duty.

Well it works for me with any problems, and the big advantage is it's a simple approach. Also, as you point out, not everyone has the ability to refrigerate their beer to accelerate clearing, and although I do I rarely use it for this task. And anyway what's the rush!

I agree with DoctorMick on this. I to, leave my primary fermentation for 2 weeks (this is just out of habit) but there is really no need. As soon as your hydrometer hits the right gravity, its time to move on to the next stage.
Last year we visited Cotswold Distillery, and they say that they can ferment in 3 days

Back