Quick Question about fv's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yekim_4321

Reaction score
So i plan on setting away a 30 bottle Rose wine kit, have read a LOT of info which while informative has me slightly bewildered :-( my question is simply this......
What size fv will i need i'm looking at the one from Wilko's but am unsure if i can get an airlock on it? or could i make it up in the fv then split over multiple dj?

any advice or direction to previous posts or even fv's would be greatly appreciated

many thanks Mick

Thanks simon12 for the quick reply :thumb: will pick them both up at weekend as an aside do you have to use brewers sugar with wine or would T&L work just as well?

Cheers

the basic bucket type doesn/t come with a hole or grommet, but thats an easy fix with a 13mm drill bit and an electrical grommet, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRPS8Q2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You could find them cheaper on ebay for a lesser quantity. and also a tap and kit to fit one.

I prefer the bucket type over the bottle type because of the easy of cleaning. but everyone has there own preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i plan on setting away a 30 bottle Rose wine kit, have read a LOT of info which while informative has me slightly bewildered :-( my question is simply this......
What size fv will i need i'm looking at the one from Wilko's but am unsure if i can get an airlock on it? or could i make it up in the fv then split over multiple dj?

any advice or direction to previous posts or even fv's would be greatly appreciated

many thanks Mick

Multiple djs a right pain in the **
Ordinary sugar is fine.
Please try a Beaverdale or similar after this one and do not be put off if this one is not great. Is it a Wilko kit?

FVs. I would recommend getting a 33l fv bucket with drilled lid AND then a wide neck 25l one to rack into. ( 2 is better ). Reasons? The 33l will give you plenty of room for stirring etc when you start the kit off. Also very easy to test SG etc. I then rack into the 25l wide neck with drilled lid and airlock. (The 33 is then ready to start another. ) It will go nicely in this but you will need to rack later again off lees prior to stopping, degassing, fining etc etc., hence why 2 of the latter is best.

You can get them cheaper than shown above too. Look at Brewbitz, homebrewonline, Creative, Ballihoo as some examples. Also Amazon and Ebay. Research!

^^ this. I have them all and getting your arm in the wide necked to clean the yeast etc. is a pain, as is degassing. Also the kits recommend bucket for initial fermentation as there is additional surface area for the co2 to escape. I prefer a pet carboy for clearing though so i can see whats going on.

don't forget gumtree/ebay for much cheapness 2nd hand. 2nd hand 33l buckets have very little value but are perfectly viable.

Most of the wine kits i have made do not require racking to a second FV so if you are not in a rush to get a second kit on straight away the wilko one will be fine, 30 bottle kits require water to be added to 22.5 - 23 litre so the 25 litre one will do the job.

A lot of members don't bother with an airlock and simply lay the lid on the bucket allowing CO2 out and no nastiest in, a lot of the cheaper FV's are not airtight so airlock activity is not a very good indication of when fermentation has started or finished, you would be better off getting a hydrometer and trial jar (if you haven't already) then you know for sure.

FV - http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-fermenting-bin-and-lid-25l/invt/0022555

Hydrometer - http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-acces...ing-hydrometer-for-wine-and-beer/invt/0022575

Trial Jar - http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-plastic-trial-jar/invt/0022576

Thanks for the input guys and Yes it's a wilko kit but i will be trying various other kits. I think i will probably go with the FV Chippy_Tes mentioned yes i did get a hydrometer and trail jar then forgot to use it on my first kit :whistle: so have no idea what the alcohol content is but it very nice a chardonnay. I am wanting to try a Malbec as this is one of my favourites but have been led to believe they are not the easiest so may wait until i have a bit more brewing experience.

One final question could i use the fv for ale or lager or do you guys have seperate kit for different brews?

Again many thanks for the input i'm loving this forum
Mick

Thanks for the input guys and Yes it's a wilko kit but i will be trying various other kits. I think i will probably go with the FV Chippy_Tes mentioned yes i did get a hydrometer and trail jar then forgot to use it on my first kit :whistle: so have no idea what the alcohol content is but it very nice a chardonnay. I am wanting to try a Malbec as this is one of my favourites but have been led to believe they are not the easiest so may wait until i have a bit more brewing experience.

One final question could i use the fv for ale or lager or do you guys have seperate kit for different brews?

Again many thanks for the input i'm loving this forum
Mick

Note - the Wilko one is more expensive (I appreciate others may need delivery) but also beware FVs with taps. I just do not trust them even if they appear not to leak. Imagine leaving one overnight that seemed ok but then started to dribble! Also, the taps are always seated way above the bottom of the FV so getting all the salvageable wine out involves a lot of tipping, balancing act and maybe pouring into another suitable container. Chippy is of course right when saying that you do not need to rack some of these kits but you do need to get the wine out so a syphon and rod would be much better option than using the high tap position.

Personal opinions of course.

Also , have a look at this first post.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68774&highlight=winebuddy+beaverdale

Really. I find it a breeze cleaning the wide necked ones. Mixture of jet hose and scourer. Have you got 5" wrists? :) . Degassing also a doddle with a drill attachment.

the edges of the wide neck are rough and hurt the crook of my elbow.:doh:

tbh i find degassing a pain with anything other than a 5l PET.

I do find the pet carboy better for seeing whats going on though.

Latest posts

Back