Wine cloudy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarfly

Reaction score
Hi can any one help i have started a 5 gallon wine kit instructions say it would take about 1 week to brew and it took 3 then 1 week to clear 6 weeks later its still cloudy any suggestions

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Take instruction times with a pinch of salt it will be finished when its finished, 3 weeks seems a long time how did you know it had finished did you check it with a hydrometer if not and it was still fermenting (even slowly) the bubbles will hold the sediment and it will not clear fully, did you degas it? if not again the bubbles will stop it clearing fully.

I do not have a hydrometer the instructions says when it bubbles stop passing through airlock then ad stabiliser and finings A and then B an hour later and should clear in a week 6 weeks later still cloudy how long do I weight or can I ad something else to help

I do not have a hydrometer the instructions says when it bubbles stop passing through airlock then ad stabiliser and finings A and then B an hour later and should clear in a week 6 weeks later still cloudy how long do I weight or can I ad something else to help

Airlock activity or lack of is no guarantee and solely relying on that can be dangerous. For finings to work properly you will needed to have thoroughly degassed the wine and for it to have fully stopped fermenting first.

As Chewie says airlocks are not a good indicator especially on a FV but on a DJ they are fine, you could add more finings or leave it and it will clear eventually.

I would say just leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wine doesn't go off, technically. As long as it's under airlock you should be fine to leave it indefinitely, but in this case I'm only suggesting leave it a couple of weeks let it sort itself out. I've known finings to not work when the wine doesn't want them to work i.e. it hasn't finished and this is causing sediment to remain in suspension. pop it in the back of a cupboard for a few weeks, stick a few gallons of other wine on the go to distract you and no doubt you will remember it in 8 weeks ad it will probably have dropped clear. Never expect overnight results, you will often be disappointing.

Latest posts

Back