Protofloc 1 tab or 1/2?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
i used whirlfloc for my last brewday and added one tablet 15min before the end of boil.
I ended up with a very dense trub and feel I lost quite a bit of my liquid at this stage.

I am going to use protofloc for my next brew (5gallon) and the pack says use 1 tablet. Would I be better off just adding half a tab though?

Thanks, I think I'll try that next time. I was just nervous having read the instructions on the box!

Protofloc says 1 per 80L Whirfloc give a range of 2-6 grams per 100L with a tablet being 2.5g so half is more than enough of either.

I use 1/2 tab as it is close to the recommendation on the bag.

That's 1/2 tab ... in 45 litres.

I tend to use a whole tablet in a 23-24 litre batch, mainly as I can't be bothered messing about trying to cut one in half and ending up with loads of small bits.

Haven't had any problems with the hot break clogging the filter on my grainfather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tend to use a whole tablet in a 23-24 litre batch, mainly as I can't be bothered messing about trying to cut one in half and ending up with loads of small bits.

Haven't had any problems with the hot break clogging the filter on my grainfather.

I have found with Protofloc, that it is easy to snap a tablet in two inside the bag. The packaging advises against contact with skin. I always use half a tablet in my 10L brews.

I have found with Protofloc, that it is easy to snap a tablet in two inside the bag. The packaging advises against contact with skin. I always use half a tablet in my 10L brews.

I'll try snapping them next time [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back