Back again!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarmacsurfer

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been away form here for many a moon but after 2 marriages, 2 divorces I am back!

Going to dig out the old gear tonight and see what is salvageable from 4 house moves.

I am only at the level of brewing kits but the last few I did I had real issues with the taste of the steriliser imparting flavours on the beer? I use(d) VWP and others but all with the same issue! What was I doing wrong??

Cheers all and good health!

Welcome back :)

With regards to the steriliser making the beer smell funky/ tasting like TCP there are a few options you could try.

Water temp (Boiling) and time are better than adding more sterilizer:- The more you add the more you have to rinse.

On final rinse leave boiling in for 24 hours after cleaning, this could clear the gases that the sterilizers create.

Use Bottled water as there are no added chemicals to keep the water 'drinkable', Water companies add chlorine and other things to keep the water free from nasties, but treating the water at home could still result in a messed up brew/ a very time-consuming process.

I myself have never encountered such problems as I sterilise with Starsan no rinse and use bottled water.

Welcome back!
I use VWP sometimes and you do need to rinse really well. It is a great cleaner though, never had an infection and I've had some manky buckets that I forgot about and sat for ages. :whistle: Cleaned with VWP and good to go

I use vwp for cleaning fv's and such and never had a problem with chlorophenols as long as you rinse well you shouldn't have a problem. I also spray everything down with starsan after cleaning which might help as well.

It has arrived! Some Safale yeast for the OOD St Peters Ruby kit I still have, Coopers Dark Ale and an Admirals Reserve too. :-)

Brewing night tonight!

Yep already said VWP you need to rinse 3 times over.. I use it to clean with and rise loads but generally I sanitise with star san like you already got..

Enjoy your brew night

It seems a lot of us use similar methods, I also use VWP, rinse well and then use Starsan. Never had a problem so far with this method.

Back