One gallon London Pride

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrighty69

Reaction score
Looking to brew a one gallon London Pride clone this weekend. From the Fuller's site the bottled version is 33 IBU. A quick calculation of 2.5g Target at 60min followed by 3g each of Challenger and Northdown at 15min puts me at about that mark. Would this give me enough flavour or does the hop schedule need upping? Thanks.

I've got a "London Pride" clone lined up too. I do knock out slightly larger quantities, but a comparison is easy - I just shift the decimal place back a notch. My hop schedule was taken off the Fuller's Web site too, but also an interview with the Brewer found here: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1621/ and Part 2 is: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1633/.

I think the main difference is you are using 15 minute additions whereas Fullers get virtually all the bittering from the Targets and the rest go in the "whirlpool" (or I give them 2 minutes). And they have a few Golding floating about. So my schedule is (bear in mind this to serve as cask and you need to bump it up 5-10% for bottles):

Target (11% AA): 3.9g 60mins
Northdown (8.5% AA): 1.3g 2mins
Challenger (7.5% AA): 1.3g 2mins
East Kent Goldings (5.9% AA): 1.6g 30min steep

I've also got EKG down as dry hops. Two batches of 1.5g, one in fermenter, one in secondary. Have them in bags so they can be removed after 4-5 days.

A concern you hear a lot is "does the hop schedule need upping". NO! You are brewing a traditional English bitter, not a new fangled American Pale Ale with exotic hops. And 33IBUs (30 for cask) is top end for English bitters/pale-ales.

Thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance but why do you increase the volume of hops when bottling? Am I right in thinking the EKG is steeped after the boil? More importantly will I get the "marmalade" flavour?:lol:

Thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance but why do you increase the volume of hops when bottling? Am I right in thinking the EKG is steeped after the boil? More importantly will I get the "marmalade" flavour?:lol:
More hops for the bottled beer? I think you need to ask Fullers. But my guess is the cask beer is drunk much younger and at very low carbonation and the additional un-matured hop bitterness might not be pleasant?

Yes, by steeping I mean add when the boiler is switched off (although I go with the "modern" practice of allowing the wort to have cooled to 80-85 degrees).

"Marmalade"? Will I have that to look forward to?

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll make sure to cool the wort before steeping. Drank a bottle of the real thing last night and really did enjoy the faint taste of orange rind.

I use Warminster malt usually. So I will probably use their ordinary crystal. That's about 135 EBC which is a tad lighter than 75L. There was a choice of "High colour", but that's a bit dark. 140-150 EBC is about right but Fullers use a lot of Simpsons malt and they don't do one in that range. So I think the best bet is going for a "medium" (bog standard) crystal from whoever.

Latest posts

Back