Refractometers are awesome

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mcphail

Having spent a bit of cash on a couple of hydrometers, I have never been happy with the results. Waiting for samples to come to temperature and driving out the bubbles was annoying. I have always struggled to get consistent readings.

For my first AG batch, I decided to buy a cheap refractometer. It reads "zero" with my tap water - which is very low mineral - and with distilled water. It proved a godsend during my brewday as it was quick and simple and gave instant readings.

Over the past 2 days I've been using it to monitor fermentation. I couldn't have done this with a hydrometer as I'd have lost too much wort. I've found it more difficult to read with yeast-clouded liquid but it is still proving useful. It takes a couple of seconds to plug the numbers into a piece of brewing software to adjust for alcohol, and it is interesting to monitor activity.

If you're thinking of investing in one, I'd say "go for it". If you worry about measuring your FG accurately, you can always double-check with your hydrometer.

refractometer_sg_monitoring.jpg

Glad someone else finds hydrometers a faff with the temp and bubbles. I'm planning on getting a refractometer as well. Partially so I can measure the progress of a mead fermentation since it seems to be standard practice to add nutrients at 1/3 and 2/3 attenuation, which measuring with a hyrdometer would be a pain and incur a bunch of losses. Thanks for the thoughts.

I only used my hydrometer for my first couple brews then someone advised me to get a refractometer and never went back except one time just to compare. However, my issue was I didn't know about the adjustment calculation and was always thinking my beer was lower ABV than they were. Without the adjustments the reading was on from my planned target gravity. After figuring out the adjustments, it pointed out that my system, HERMS, runs 1.5 to 2 degrees lower than displayed, Making my beers really dry, around 1.001.
I would however suggest you buy those disposable 10 ml (what's the name of those!?!) sucker things. I pay like 10 cents for each when you buy by bulk. Small price to pay to not get nasties into your beer/wort.

Is there a good value refractometer that can be bought for not too much money? I'm keen to get one but do the cheaper ones work ok??

What software do you use to convert the readings?

I've been using Beersmith, but I think there are lots of alternatives.

Is there a good value refractometer that can be bought for not too much money? I'm keen to get one but do the cheaper ones work ok??

I'm using a cheap one, which seems to be giving the results I expect. It cost about 15 quid on Amazon. There are multiple vendors at similar prices on amazon and ebay. I think they are mass-produced in the far east.

Yeah they all seem to be the same model. I was curious and looked up a proper lab spec once and had a laugh, £200 and up! Figured as much.

Back