Bit of help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just doing a bit of research regarding AG brewing and think i will be able to do something out here in turkey.
I can get basic Malt, Wheat, Barley and rice etc so was wondering if anyone has a basic recipe i can use to make a basic sort of bitter and or lager? Probably 20-30 ltrs
I got the Mrs on a ahopping trip later this month so i need to know which type of yeasts and hops would be appropriate for the brews?
Any advice or help would be great - Thanks
Scream

Starting out I would brew a nice single malt and hop beer :thumb:

For 20L at 70% efficiency

3.6 kg Pale malt
35g Goldings Hops 90 minute boil
20g Goldings Hops last 30 mins of boil
20g Goldings Hops Hot soak at 80C

Mash in 10 litres of liquor to give a mash temp. of 66C for 90 minutes
Sparge to collect 25 litres of sweet wort
Bring to the boil, add the first 35g of hops as the boil begins
Add 20g of hops after an hour of the boil
add copper finings (irish moss / protofloc after 1 1/4 hours of boil
When boil is over all the bitter wort to cool to 80C then stir in the last 20g of hops and let soak for 20 mins then cool to 20C
Run the bitter wort into the fermenting vessel from a height to aerate.
Pitch yeast :thumb:

Single Ale (Standard/Ordinary Bitter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8
Colour (SRM): 3.2 (EBC): 6.3
Bitterness (IBU): 31.1 (Average)

100% Pale Malt

1.8 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

I'm not sure how good the postal system is in Turkey :wha: but if it's reliable I'm pretty sure that most of the mail order HBS would post out dried yeast and vacuum packed hops if you can but the bulky ingredients locally :thumb:

Thanks for that Tubby - is that 2 recipes? i dont see a quantity for malt on 2nd?
Hops good i can get those - yeast for first? I thought of nottingham too.
As for post no chance - can take upto 7 weeks to get here - if it does at all - most packets parcels are robbed!!

Keep em coming - thanks

Yeah .. and me (and the family). We could all get a few k of grain and a k of hops through!

:D

Thanks Tubby - i re read it and sort of figured that out - i got an idea what hops & yeast to get now.

LOL @ u lot - once i get this place finished there will be a few invites no worries!

Lol - problem out here is the season ends Oct - May so between those times flights are triple the price. The resorts are like ghost towns then with hardley any bars open. Theres no Bitter here apart from the odd can of imported John smiths at around 4.50p a can. Theres also a massive ex-pat community, hence the AG brewing idea.
I got a turkish m8 who's into brewing and he was telling me we could get the HLT, Boilers and mash tuns custom made out here too. - in shiney!!
He has a contact for bulk buying chemicals too so no probs there. Not much in the way of 'copper' plumbing out here as plastic is more common, but air con units use the 10mm pipe so thats a bonus, taps etc no problem. Will have to look for the rest or more trips to UK! PID's and sensors etc should be able to source those as china is a big trading partner with turkey.

screamlead said:
I got a turkish m8 who's into brewing and he was telling me we could get the HLT, Boilers and mash tuns custom made out here too. - in shiney!!
Ay Buddy...With all the problems were are having with getting SS Stock Pots here..We might be coming to you for them :lol:

Any other hops i can replace the Goldings with?
I was thinking of getting the following to try out - -

Northdown
Fuggles
Challenger
First gold
Cascade

And maybe the Bobek??

Would these be ok for a few basic brews??

Just got 500g of wheat to experiment with - roasting etc cost 22p so no worries if i ruin it! :rofl:

screamlead said:
Any other hops i can replace the Goldings with?
I was thinking of getting the following to try out - -

Northdown
Fuggles
Challenger
First gold
Cascade

Need a quick reply guys if anyone online need to stick in an online order pretty quick - thanks

Ps yeasts - was thinking nottingham and a decent lager one too - any offers?

hi scream, i live in cyprus and was wondering where you get your pale malt from in turkey? or does it come from mainland europe....i have to ship everything from uk in 30kg loads .
happy days here in the sun eh!

Latest posts

Back