favourite all time hop and malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
If you could only have 1 hop and 1 speciality grain for all your future brews what would they be???

I dont think I could live without crystal 120 and good old east kent goldings :thumb:

Have to agree, if there was only one it would be EKG. As for 'speciality' grain... that's a damn site more difficult... maybe Munich

Grumpy Jack said:
OK Gents, for us non AG brewers who are planning on turning to the dark side... WHY are they your choices?
In my opinion Goldings are the grass root, traditional British hop which imparts a lovely smooth mellow bitterness.
Crystal malt gives colour, a little sweetness and balances the Pale malt perfectly.

Magnum hops and carapils malt for me :thumb:
The Magnums have a very high aa % so they are economical and I also find the flavour and aroma pleasant.

Carapils adds body and sweetness without too much colour ;-) if I want colour and roast flavours there is alway the option of home roasting some pale malt :grin:

Grumpy Jack said:
OK Gents, for us non AG brewers who are planning on turning to the dark side... WHY are they your choices?

craigite said:
Crystal and Styrian Golding for me.

Why did I choose these.
Crystal give that little extra and the post clearly didn't allow me to say pale malt. The crystal taste and colour can be too much for me if used much over 12.5%.
Styrian Golding gives a finish taste but the smell is just superb. I always pair it up with another hop to give the bitterness, say Fuggle.

Going with Tub' on the choc malt 1% in most bitters works very well for me.

Hops would have to be Cascade, just love em, have them on my cornflakes!

Loving Munich malt at the moment for colour and sweet maltiness.
Amarillo hops are a great all-rounder in my opinion.

Probably challenger for the hops, the malt is much trickier... always use crystal I suppose... :hmm:

Challenger is my worker hop. Great for bittering and also has some fruit when used for aroma.

I have recently been experimenting with Munich but I will have to go with Crystal as I have it in just about everything to provide some body, residual sweetness and a bit of colour.

Tough one.

Fuggle, challenger EKG....has to be EKG
Roast barley isn't a malt so that has to be chocolate :D

Back