Water Treatment-Boil with a Campden tablet? Can it hurt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickrjsmith

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bought some Campden tablets for my next brew. The last one (my first full grain) was malty, clear but still had that home brew taste that I got from the boots kits when I was younger.

I'm sure it must have been either my water (chloramines) or even the cleaning fluid.

I can't believe that with all that mashing effort it tasted not that much better than a kit. Just clearer and maltier.

Anyway. Last time I did a boil for 30 mins on the water I used to brew / sparge.

This time I'm going to use a Campden tablet. Does it matter if I use this as well? Should I then add some salts? I live in Devon with pretty soft water.

Thanks - Nick

If you are using a campden tablet, then boiling your liquor is just a waste of electricity tbh.

ATB :D

So I don't need to boil at all if I use Campden?

Should I be looking to add salts etc? Or will a tablet suffice?

markp said:
If you are using a campden tablet, then boiling your liquor is just a waste of electricity tbh.

ATB :D

I dont understand that :wha:

I always add campden to my mash and sparge liquor.

My understanding is that Campden tabs are potassium metabisulphite which releases sulphur dioxide when disolved in water; the sulphur prevents the growth of moulds, bacteria and spoilage yeasts. However if you boil the water then the sulphur dioxide gas is driven off too quickly and is not so effective, so it is always best to add the Campden tab to the cooled wort. (most of this from an old Boots book that belonged to my Dad)

Good Ed said:
it is always best to add the Campden tab to the cooled wort. (most of this from an old Boots book that belonged to my Dad)
Not true at all . . . but then Boots were never renowned for giving good advice.

Camden Tablet Usages in Beer Brewing

The primary purpose of adding a campden tablet to brewing liquor has nothing at all to do with disinfection/sanitising/sterilising . . .prevention of infection, but is purely used to convert any residual chlorine (and chloramine) added by the water companies to ensure the water remains potable in the journey from the treatment works to your tap. Residual chlorine is largely responsible for medicinal TCP like tones in the finished beer (it reacts with poly phenols from the malt husks and hops), the sulphite provided by the campden tablet reacts with the chlorine to create very small quantities of chloride and sulphate (desirable). One Campden tablet will treat 17UK gallons of liquor at a residual chlorine level of 3ppm . . .if it does not react completely (ie you have less liquor or chlorine than this) then the sulphite as a reductone and prevents oxidation of the beer later in the process, so you do not have to be incredibly accurate with the dosage.

Part 2 coming later ;)

Latest posts

Back