Geordie Scottish Export

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atcare

Reaction score
Don't have this through choices as it was a gift. Anyway would like to make the most of it. Plan is kit can plus 1 can of amber malt fermented with English ale yeast and dry hopped with Fuggles hops. How much hops and how long for best results. Anything else I could add to enhance flavour. Thank in advance

I normally dry hop with about 30g but the sky's the limit. I do this five days before bottling so that's 16 days into fermentation as I ferment for 3 weeks. If you're doing a 2 week ferment then 9 days in will be fine.

Will the single can of malt extract give enough body and be ok for head retention

Will the single can of malt extract give enough body and be ok for head retention
With all due respect to your ambitions you are trying to improve a cheap kit. The few reviews of this kit are very mixed.
www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17900
It came free to you so if I were you I would just brew short to 15 litres and use kit can plus a 1lb can of tate and lyle and kit yeast which will give you an OG of between 1.040 and 1.045, and you will then have concentrated the kit flavours more than if you had brewed to 20+ litres, and by brewing short you will have given the kit yeast a good chance of fully fermenting out as intended. If you decide to dry hop as well I would have thought about 25g of Fuggles would be fine, but from the little I know about Scottish beers its not about hops its about malt, so dry hopping may be superfluous to the style. Others may disagree.

I did a cheap Scottish heavy can but chucked some oak aging stick that I soaked in dark rum , turned out just like innis and gunn

A decent 80/- should taste like liquid shortbread, imho. I'd hate to drink a dry hopped shortbread.

Latest posts

Back