My First Cider Secondary

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewEng

Reaction score
Hey this is my first attempt at cider making. I've just moved it to the secondary fermentation vessel and I was wondering if anybody could let me know what sort of temperature I should aim for, and is it important to keep a consistent temperature at this stage?

It's looking quite cloudy still. I added 20 drops of pectic enzyme before the primary fermentation started but I don't think I stirred it in. Also, there's a few bits of apple floating around the neck of the demijohn. Does this sound normal?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm still quite new here.

*Update*
I've left it wrapped in blankets in the corner of a room; it's sat at about 20°C.
I checked it out after a day in the secondary and it has already cleared up significantly with a nice amber colour at the top and a murky sediment at the bottom.

IMG-20171112-WA0003.jpg

When you say secondary fermentation has it fully fermented out? Are you making fizzy or still cider?

The gravity reading is barely above 1, down from OG of 1.06 so I took that as fermentation being complete. I was planning on adding some brown sugar before bottling to make it fizzy.

On the note of using brown sugar! I've always charged each bottle with a heaped teaspoon of white granulated. This gives a nice bit of fizz, however my last batch I decided to try muscovado, it did not give the same amount of fizz, but gave the cider great colour and a very interesting taste.
I will experiment further.

On the beers I've brewed in the past I've used white sugar, but since I've been researching cider tips I've seen a few places where people have suggested Brown sugar so I thought I'd give it a try.

Latest posts

Back