New venture into brew in a bag

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I have already done a couple of 1 gallon all grain brews but now want to move to 2 gallon. To make this easier I feel I should use the brew-in-a-bag method, but I have a couple of questions.
1. How do I prevent the bag from scalding when turning up the heat for "mash out"?
2. I have used a 26cm sieve for sparging with the 1 gallon. How can I sparge the larger quantity of mashed grain without using a sieve?

Hi n welcome..

1) slip a SS kitchen doo dah into the pot to keep the bag off the pot bottom our �£ shop sells diddy SS colanders for example, but a plate will do in a pinch too but be prepared for the odd rumble as bubbles lift it..

2) with the bag and a bucket you can 'dunk sparge' your grains..

do a search for forum posts on the subject there is an very good stove top how to thats been very inspiring that should help answer all your Q's

Hi n welcome..

1) slip a SS kitchen doo dah into the pot to keep the bag off the pot bottom our ��£ shop sells diddy SS colanders for example, but a plate will do in a pinch too but be prepared for the odd rumble as bubbles lift it..

2) with the bag and a bucket you can 'dunk sparge' your grains..

do a search for forum posts on the subject there is an very good stove top how to thats been very inspiring that should help answer all your Q's
I'm a dunker
and it's a good method:thumb:

I've had a search around but I'm still not clear what "dunking" is. At the moment I think I will simply remove the bag from the pot and drop it into a bucket. Then I will pour water over the grain inside the bag until I reach the right amount or wort for boiling. That doesn't sound like "dunking" to me. Would that method be o.k.? Or is what you call dunking better? Is there a Youtube video that will show me what "dunking" looks like?
Thanks for your help for far.

I've had a search around but I'm still not clear what "dunking" is. At the moment I think I will simply remove the bag from the pot and drop it into a bucket. Then I will pour water over the grain inside the bag until I reach the right amount or wort for boiling. That doesn't sound like "dunking" to me. Would that method be o.k.? Or is what you call dunking better? Is there a Youtube video that will show me what "dunking" looks like?
Thanks for your help for far.

This is what I do with BIAB and it works well. I'd give the bag a very good squeeze before doing it, and also give the grains a good stir and leave them a few minutes after you've added the water.

Aye post mash lift n drain your grain bag (squeeze too if you do that..) then with a bucket of warm water the same volume as you need to make up for your pre-boil volume :)

dunk the grain bag in, open it stir the grains in the warm water, lift drain and squeeze if your a squeezer, and the resulting liquor should bring you upto your preboil volume..

It can also be known as "batch sparging" if using a mash tun.
The "dunk" seems to be a popular method used by BIABer's including myself.
I just put the sparge water at 72c in a bucket then add the squeezed grain bag from my main pot give a good stir leave for ten minutes. The bag is then drained and squeezed again and liquor added back to pot for the boil.

I'd been using the sparging method from the James Morton book, where I suspended the bag above the pot and poured sparge water from a jug through the grains. But after cleaning that mess from my kitchen floor, I'm going to try dunk sparging next time :)

I'd been using the sparging method from the James Morton book, where I suspended the bag above the pot and poured sparge water from a jug through the grains. But after cleaning that mess from my kitchen floor, I'm going to try dunk sparging next time :)

Try JFB's method at post #10. That's exactly what I do and it couldn't be easier. I also experimented with pouring water over a suspended bag but it's messy and my pre-boil gravity ended up lower than target indicating that it's not an efficient method or I wasn't doing it right. Whatever. Switching to a separate bucket-dunk-soak gives me the expected pre-boil gravity each time. I use 5 litres for my dunk-sparge if it helps.

I'm brewing as I type! I opened the "bag", which is actually just a sheet of net curtain, in an FV and added 6l of water. This was enough to cover the 3.75kg of grain. I gave it a good stir and left it to steep for 10 minutes before lifting it and squeezing. Better go check it, I'm halfway through the boil.

Back