Force curbing with soda stream

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Force carbonating that is!

Looks like I’ve got a leak. First time I’ve used this soda stream method, but I know the keg is ok as it was started off and had no problem with capsules and a min reg and I had a few well carbed pints from it. I then Ran out of capsules so replaced with soda stream option.

Used a soda stream connection widget and tightened with wrenches. Gas line seemed ok, although leaked at first attempt before fixing it (or maybe not?)

Set to 10 psi, and seemed ok but went back later this evening and canister is empty and no pressure in keg.

Any ideas on the most likely source of leak? What’s the best way of checking? I will need to get another canister first though, no doubt.

As always any direction here most appreciated!

Update. Even though dial was showing gas bottle empty and zero pressure into keg, when taken apart and put back together the soda stream was showing near full. Set it up again at 10 psi and looks to be holding it fine. Only thing I did different was remove the tap.

I had a similar issue when first using the soda stream cannister and adaptor. It seems fairly temperamental as if it's too loose, it leaks... If it's too tight (which you'd naturally do after it leaking) it seems to cut off the supply and choke the gas coming out.

... I eventually saved up and moved to a small 3kg gas cannister and haven't really used the soda stream since, apart from if I'm taking a keg somewhere then it's handy as it's light, but I now force carb with an actual gas cylinder.

Hope that helps.

Brian.

Ok cheers Brian, Started with capsules last week, upgraded to soda stream this week and now looks like I should look into a 3kg gas cylinder then!

Is it easy to refill gas for the 3kg canisters? Best thing about sodastream is it’s readily available and as you say easily mobile.

I've not had to refil yet, but it's the standard male thread connection that fits directly on to a normal regulator. Mine says to only fill it with the supplier, but I'm going to take it somewhere local as it's much cheaper. 😁

Thought I had fixed it but it’s still leaking. It leaking when in storage and is now empty ( just connected to the regulator but turned off). So either it’s the adaptor, or I haven’t screwed the canister in tight enough?

Bit of a pisser as I have a brew going and need to free up the fv. So it’s either keg without co2 ( which I guess is no different to continuing in fermenter) or bottle ( really don’t want to bottle!)

Update. So new sodastream bottle attached to keg, regulator started off fine then after about 30 mins, both dials went to zero. So I turned the screw on regulator to off and disconnected the gas line from keg, before unscrewing the soda stream bottle

When disconnecting the soda stream bottle there was a Massive Bang and the plastic washer blew into three pieces. I am guessing it’s either an issue with the soda stream adaptor or the regulator, both are brand new. I am a bit tentative about what I do next...

Any ideas?

Can Anyone throw any light in this?

Back