Gluten Free Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbl68

Reaction score
Due to some minor health problems I'm going to try to eliminate gluten from my diet so I'm in need of some gluten free beers to try. Can any of you recommend any gluten free beers (ideally widely available ones)?

I'd heard that all blonde beers (e.g., Fuller's Discovery) are gluten free. Is this true?

jpbl68 said:
I'd heard that all blonde beers (e.g., Fuller's Discovery) are gluten free. Is this true?
Greenes do a Lager and an ale - Available in Morrisons

Nick Stafford does Gluten Free Beer (GFB) and Gluten Free Lager (GFL) - Usually sold in Asda, but seen it in Tescos

All pale, all barley malt beers, MAY have less than 20ppm gluten which in the UK is counted as gluten free. . . . It depends on how sensitive you are to gluten as to whether you will react . . . Of course Budweiser is also quite low in Gluten :whistle: :whistle:

My wife is coeliac, which is why I've got into brewing - though I do more wine than beer. She works with somebody whose husband is a master brewer and claims all beer would meet the GF standard if they bothered to get it tested, barring those that have some malt added late on for extra flavour. OTOH, different people are sensitive to different degrees and I know of people who react to beer; and you can be asymptomatic for years then suddenly get serious neural problems, like my MiL, so my wife for one prefers not to risk non-certified beers.
Apart from the ones other people have listed, you might like to try the Spanish beer Estrella Damm Daura, available in Sainsbury.
All the certified GF stuff is expensive, though, so...
If you want to try brewing some, I can recommend the recipes by Duncan Disorderly over on the "Jim's beer kit" forum. The ingredients list is weird but the taste is great.

oldbloke said:
She works with somebody whose husband is a master brewer and claims all beer would meet the GF standard if they bothered to get it tested, barring those that have some malt added late on for extra flavour.
That's fantastic news if true. I know that gluten in my solid food has an effect on me but I'm not sure about beer. I can cut out all of the gluten in my food and then see what kind of effect my usual beers have on me.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll keep an eye out for them.

jpbl68 said:
oldbloke said:
She works with somebody whose husband is a master brewer and claims all beer would meet the GF standard if they bothered to get it tested, barring those that have some malt added late on for extra flavour.
That's fantastic news if true. I know that gluten in my solid food has an effect on me but I'm not sure about beer. I can cut out all of the gluten in my food and then see what kind of effect my usual beers have on me.

Well, the hospital nutritionists will advise against beer, but if you have symptoms with gluten in food and you don't with beer, maybe it's OK for you. Everybody's sensitive to different degrees. My wife was asymptomatic anyway, so it's kind of hard to tell without getting a blood test for the antibodies. Hence we don't risk it.

Aleman said:
Nick Stafford does Gluten Free Beer (GFB)
Just cracked open one of these. It's pretty good. Rich but not heavy. Slightly too carbonated for my tastes (more like a lager than an ale) but nothing to complain about. Not a bad drop. Thanks for the recommendation :cheers:

Back