Brown Sugar???!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commsbiff

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys (and girls???),

I recently bought my second kit (Young's Harvest Scottish Heavy) after bottling my first (Geordie Yorkshire Bitter) a couple of days ago. Now my first kit (£50 all in one inc fv etc) came with brewing sugar, which I used. I incorrectly expected to get some with the Young's kit, and didn't. I'm sure I've read that you can use normal household white granulated sugar to get a similar effect.

Today, when I mixed it up though, we didn't have any white sugar, and I was feeling lazy! I used 1 KG Light Brown Soft Sugar and 500g Unrefined Golden Granulated Sugar :whistle: and now I'm wondering if I've ruined it. I'm hoping that you can tell me it'll all be alright :pray:

Thanks in advance for your kind advice. :thumb:

You haven't ruined your kit in as much as you used brown sugar instead of white sugar :thumb:
Coloured sugars add to the flavour of the finished beer and I use them regularly in dark beers :grin:
Whether or not the flavours are ones that you enjoy only time will tell :hmm:
For future reference to get the best out of a kit replace the sugar with either a 50:50 mix of dried malt extract(dme) and brewing sugar or all dme, this will give you more body and a maltier flavour :drink:

I keep a bag of Muscovado sugar in the brewery just in case I miss the og by a ways great for darker beers as it's tastes cover the lost malts and I use it regularly in strong beers to keep them in balance.

get it from the super market it's unrefined so no tangs.

commsbiff you moving to Newark? must be no, one there calls it Newark on Trent.

The only town in the world that is an anagram of W*nker :cheers: :party: :clap: :grin: :rofl: :whistle:

prolix said:
I keep a bag of Muscovado sugar in the brewery just in case I miss the og by a ways great for darker beers as it's tastes cover the lost malts and I use it regularly in strong beers to keep them in balance.

get it from the super market it's unrefined so no tangs.
No tangs but a hell of a strong flavour ;)

Am I right in thinking that brown sugar dark or light is just refined sugar with molasis added in varying degrees? Im not talking about muskovado which i beleave is unrefined

Not the stuff I used - it said 'unrefined' on the label. Looking at tesco website - they all seem to be unrefined.

Well I bottled these on 17 Apr, and had one last night. It came out at 5.3%, so quite strong, but I must say that it tastes great! I will definitely be using some unrefined light brown sugar in the future - not just because it tastes great, but also because it's cheap :party: . The beers not quite clear yet, I may chill some down for a few days to see if that has any effect on clearing. Compared to the first kit using brewing sugar, it wins hands down. Not sure if it's the sugar, or the kit or both.

Back