Tesco Sale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
The Coopers 1 can kits seem to be sale at £10 each at the moment.

I showed admirable restraint at six.

Stout, APA. Blonde, Lager, English, Cerveza.

All these make really sound beer, made to the intructions, in themselves. Better still, all make a sound base for experiments of various sorts. With a 15L pan, available from WilKo, these are the entry point to really quite good beer, better than you can buy from a supermarket.

Amazing! I'm just about to blow £100 on various kits and ingredients, probably one of each, and several packs of beer enhancer. And save about £50 in the process!:drink:

so a one can kit, im assuming you add your own choice of sugars/yeast etc?
only done the coopers which came as a beginners kit,,and just done a wherrys 2can kit. both came with everything needed.

Yeah, you need to purchase sugar/enhancer etc with the Coopers kits (yeast included), most of the premium kits come with everything you need.

Got me two coopers apa and two John bull ipa's plus four enhancers....... did mess my order up and ordered the John bull English ale instead of the ipa so had to cancel my whole order and re order the whole lot as tesco will not let you amend it once order moves onto second stage.

Yep, that's me 110 quid lighter ! For some reason though they won't deliver the kit enhancer but will deliver the kits ,work that one out ?
So I have made a decision to buy some DME in bulk as I have lots of dextrose.
Any advice on where to purchase gratefully received.... :cheers:

Never bought in bulk, but have seen DME advertised in 3kg bags at around £15, from memory.

Dumb question so you mix 500g of your malt extract plus 500g of dextrose and you have a beer enhancer ?

The Maltmiller sells 3kg DME for £15, The Homebrew Company 3kg for £14. I think that's as good as it gets.

Dumb question so you mix 500g of your malt extract plus 500g of dextrose and you have a beer enhancer ?

Not a dumb question, used to wonder the exact same thing myself.

Basically, most beer/brew enhancers are a combination of brewing sugar (dextrose) and dried malt extract (DME/LDM). I think Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 also has Maltodextrin, in fact, here's the figures from Coopers:

BE1 = 60% dextrose 40% maltodextrin
BE2 = 50% dextrose 25% maltodextrin 25% LDM

The Maltodextrin doesn't ferment out and is more for mouth feel. General opinion is that the BE2 is better for darker beers and BE1 for lighter beers. Although, this makes no sense to me and I think I would use BE2 for both - I'll soon find out :shock:

Nothing to stop you putting your own combo together of DME & brewing sugar or as per recipe. My 'Ditch's stout' recipe required 1Kg of medium/dark DME & 500g brown sugar.

As mentioned often, the only dumb question is one not asked....
So after a bit of internetting I have bought 3.2 k of barley malt extract from Amazon for just over 11 quid. This is not specific to home brewing but to baking and general usage inc home brewing. So looking forward to some experimentation.....

I'm thinking of five brews, four bags of BE (I've got a spare) £3.75. Coopers English Bitter and another Coopers Stout £10 each, a John Bull Best Bitter £9.00 and a Youngs Harvest Pilsner and Bitter £7.50 each. This totals out at £59, the good point is that I know what I'm getting and I know I'm getting it at a good price, the problem is that I've done some of the kits before. So I'm thinking that for my next batch buy will be from the Homebrew Shop where they do free delivery on orders of £65. This should allow me to buy four kits I've not tried before with four bags of BE and this should total to about the £65 mark. The ones I've got my eye on at the moment are the Betterbrew Czech Pilsner, and the Simply bitter or pale ale. Anyway back to the kit reviews to see what I like the look of

Cheers for the heads up Slid! Got a Youngs Pilsner that I intend to make a saison from and a Coopers APA to use with some higher temp Workhorse yeast, so I have a couple of relatively cheap brews to do when it gets a bit hotter. 4 x 1kg beer enhancer too as it was cheaper than my LHBS.

Cheers for the heads up Slid! Got a Youngs Pilsner that I intend to make a saison from and a Coopers APA to use with some higher temp Workhorse yeast, so I have a couple of relatively cheap brews to do when it gets a bit hotter. 4 x 1kg beer enhancer too as it was cheaper than my LHBS.

I got a 12g Belle Saison yeast sachet from Neales's (via the Malt Miller, I think) last year and washed the yeast form the very strong first brew and made 3 or 4 "daughter" brews from the washed yeast.

Saison is most definitely an acquired and different taste. I have the taste now, but I never tasted anything like it before.

I did mine in the late autumn or early winter and to me it is a very clean tasting drink, with some hints of esters. I expect that one brewed in the heat of the summer would be much "funkier".

I am planning to do Saison again this year, when it is too hot to make anything else, without a brewing fridge.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/8620/files/MJ_Craft_Series__A5_Yeast_Booklet.pdf?1935

I got some of the Workhorse yeast as it says it copes up to 32c and thought it would be good for summer brewing. I'm not sure what it's like though, hence why I wanted to try it on something cheaper first, probably in June, plus the APA sounded like a good summer beer.

As it happens, the saison yeast I bought is from the same range.

Cheers Hops, added to the yeast list.

I got a 12g Belle Saison yeast sachet from Neales's (via the Malt Miller, I think) last year and washed the yeast form the very strong first brew and made 3 or 4 "daughter" brews from the washed yeast.

Saison is most definitely an acquired and different taste. I have the taste now, but I never tasted anything like it before.

I did mine in the late autumn or early winter and to me it is a very clean tasting drink, with some hints of esters. I expect that one brewed in the heat of the summer would be much "funkier".

I am planning to do Saison again this year, when it is too hot to make anything else, without a brewing fridge.

My plan exactly! The height of summer to see what this yeast is about. Worst case is about £20 down the drain, but I like to try new things and I enjoy Belgian beer in general, so I'm not too concerned!

My plan exactly! The height of summer to see what this yeast is about. Worst case is about £20 down the drain, but I like to try new things and I enjoy Belgian beer in general, so I'm not too concerned!

Really don't see this one ending badly, H&D.

Saison is brilliant!

Bright and clear mouth feel, then with that very distinctive flavour.

Latest posts

Back