AG# 5 Oatmeal stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mephistopholes

Reaction score
Wow had a bottle shortage last night. mrsstopholes helped me put a bit of a dent in AG#3, a lovely sessionable pale ale, though freeing up some prcious bottles. suffice to say the day is starting slowly but at least i can clear the FV now and get doughing in.
just as soon as i clear the havoc wraught in the kitchen. a result of drunken dancing et al.

Heres what ive got in mind for today.

Oatmeal Stout

Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Colour (SRM): 37.3 (EBC): 73.5
Bitterness (IBU): 94.2 (Average)

71.43% Pale Malt
4.46% Caramalt
4.46% Crystal 120
3.57% Black Roasted Barley
3.57% Chocolate
3.57% Flaked Oats
8.93% Brown Malt

2.6 g/l Simcoe (12.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/l Bobek (4.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/l Amarillo (9.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/l Amarillo (9.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
0.8 g/l Bobek (4.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°c with Safeale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Don't mind this fermenting at a higher temparature. i was told by a professional brewer whenever they make stouts they don't try and hold them back with cooling the FV. they just 'let them rip'

also i toasted the oats.

best go get the water on....

The Amarillo will overpower the bobek.

Hop character is not characteristic of stouts so normally they don't have flavour and aroma additions . . . don't let me stop you though :)

its not normal i agree. but i just love a hop aroma on all beers. even a stout.

i've never used bobek or amarillo before. but on opening both packets and having a good sniff the bobek was BIG. bigger than the cascade i have in the freezer at 7.6 even, so lemony its a real revalation. i may however take your advice and either go all bobek or all amarillo at the end. :wha:

as long as the great aleman thinks the malt bill isn'ta bit too confused or overly muddled i can at least begin the mash with much aplomb, assurance, backbone, cool and confidence.

Alright lets dough :party:

Just tryed to take a PH reading from the mash tun with litmus paper.

it seemed to be couloured more by the dark semi mashed liquer more than anything. but i'm estimating a PH of around 6.

i have no idea what this means only that it means i need to go do some reading. :wha:

It was never my intention when i came here. it was i should point out my intention to learn about the dark arts of AG brewing. But it seems to be happening. Thanks mainly to moley.

I have now laid out in front of me the following items ;-

1 gallon ex water bottle (£1.79)
1 airlock
1 tub pectolase
1 tub yeast
1 tub yeast nutrient
a five pound note

i am about to venture off to sainsburys, fiver in hand, and have a wander down there juice aisle. i really am unsure of what i'm gonna make here.

Feel free to make suggestions.

To start out with you can't beat the Wurzels!!
Orange Juice and grape juice white grape for a white wine red grape for a rose!
Ready to drink in 2-3 weeks can't beat it!

It has to be wurzels doesnt it.

The wurzels have been whispering at me to brew them for awhile now. i can here there voices grwing louder and louder.

brew me BREW ME BREW ME!!!!!

I cant take it any longer i simply must have some wurzels.

as i understand it the recipe is thus

1 litre grape juice ie 1 carton of grape juice from concentrate
1 litre orange juice
750g sugar
tsp each yeast/nutrient/pectolase

boil the juice and the sugar for ten minutes or so

into the demi which i fill to the shoulder until primary has finished. then i top up with water when things have calmed somewhat. rack to another bottle when ferments done and in a week or so hopefully all is clear.

This sound right?

All Part from Boiling the juice! Don't boil it just add it to the dj and add some water to boil the sugar say 1 ltr then top up with water to get the correct temp.

Cool thanks.

I just noticed in the original thread that wurzel is using tannin. now i'm aware that teabags are being used for this very same purpose. just wondering how much to use?

Steeping one bag in the boiled sugar water solution gona be enough?

i would like to get this as close as possible to what might be considered the definitive orange wurzel.

Boils on btw.

time to pop out to sainsburys.

just make a strong cup of black tea and put that in :thumb: Original wurzel is excellent but there are loads of variations with juices - just watch out for the no added sugar juices which are packed with unfermentable sweetners - unless you like a really sweet wine :sick:

Wurzels exploded over night and left an orange sludgy mess on the kitchen worktop. for some reason although it was quite a horrible mess it put a huge smile on my face to see it. :D

the stout is really letting rip too. 26 degrees in a room thats closer to 17-18. i think its ready for racking to secondary already. its gone from constant bubbling this morning to the odd plop now. shame i don't have a secondary.

Anyone know a cheap source on buckets. i've found as low as 9 quid inc delivery on ebay but waiting on a reply to find out what grade plastic they are.

anyone find it makes much difference on flavour to move to secondary?

Latest posts

Back