What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing GH Nelson today but tinkering a bit as will add a little more at flameout. I want to get the full benefit of the Nelson Sauvin flavours as a hop.

Sat in the morning sun waiting for water to get to mash temp.

Doing GH Nelson today but tinkering a bit as will add a little more at flameout. I want to get the full benefit of the Nelson Sauvin flavours as a hop.

Sat in the morning sun waiting for water to get to mash temp.

Mmm... so deviated a little further away from the GH recipe.

Had to use biscuit malt in place of cara .. only 275g and using MJ M44 yeast.

All boiling away nicely .

I should have bottled my latest pale but have suffered a flare up of sacrolitis and have been feeling miserable all day....
Had some happy pills and a bit better so have prepared some allotment rhubarb to add to some gin..Mrs Clint's idea!

I should have bottled my latest pale but have suffered a flare up of sacrolitis and have been feeling miserable all day....
Had some happy pills and a bit better so have prepared some allotment rhubarb to add to some gin..Mrs Clint's idea!

Get well soon matey ! Rhubarb gin sounds rather dandy athumb..

A continental lager today. Treated water past night, mashed first thing, boiled and cooled, went to watch Palace, pitched at 13 degrees.
Screenshot_20190414-204109_Samsung Internet.jpg

Boiled some invert sugar #2!
Very sticky mess ._.
but got everything clean before the missus could complain.

Attachments

• 20190414_080119_HDR.jpg
    20190414_080119_HDR.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20190414_181102_HDR.jpg
    20190414_181102_HDR.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 189
Mmm... so deviated a little further away from the GH recipe.

Had to use biscuit malt in place of cara .. only 275g and using MJ M44 yeast.

All boiling away nicely .

Flaming Nora - blow out tube aka useless:

M44 went Whappy and nearly blew the kid off , all leaking down the side.

Nothing seems to be coming through the blow tube , and it’s not blocked.

Answers on a postcard ?

Another Burton Pale Ale tomorrow. Still have some past their bbd malt and hops. I did the heavy work this afternoon, this evening there's a meeting of the brewers' guild, and tomorrow it's brewing time!

Attachments

• 20190419_135917_HDR.jpg
    20190419_135917_HDR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 215
Trying the GH Cali Common today.
Didn't quite hit the numbers but not displeased with 3 points off. Struggling to get wort down to pitching temp so it's now in my brew fridge.

Also, as is customary on a brew day I had a sneaky sample of the last brew - my Vienna Cascade and Citra APA, and it is rather tasty. The best brew so far. In fact I'm so pleased with it, the next brew day in a couple of weeks will see me brewing it again, as 45 bottles ain't gonna last long with this sunny Easter weekend!

As the weather was so nice, I decided to have and outdoors brewday. Other than struggling to get my tablet to connect to the Grainfather for a few minutes, it all went smoothly plus it's far easier to hose the patio down than to mop the floor in my brewtility room.

Made a batch of Old Smoky Goat Biter, a deep and beguiling strong English style ale. Lashings of the finest Maris Otter crushed pale malt, a whole pound of decadent mixed crystal malts for flavour, richness and colour, some homemade applewood smoked malt and a pinch of the darkest black malt to raise the colour to perfection. Then bittered with English Challenger leaf hops and two helpings of the finest Worcestershire Goldings hops for the perfect English ale flavour.

This is not just beer this is Mmm & Sss Beer.

Finally got around to brewing today, only my second brew of the year which is shocking. Brewed an American amber ale which is one of my favourite styles. Hoping for lots of malt, some crystal sweetness and plenty of hop flavour.

19 litre batch

2kg pale malt
1kg Munich
1kg Vienna
250g light crystal
250g medium crystal
250g melanoiden

25 IBU of magnum boiled for 60 minutes
75g cascade at flameout

OG 1.051. US05 on the job at 17C

Will dry hop with cascade and Citra after fermentation.

Last edited:
First time go at a Tropical Stout. Wasn't sure what the grain bill should have been, but went with the following...

23L Batch

900g Pale Malt
3600g Mild Malt
350g Brown Malt
425g Chocolate Malt
25g Black Malt
175g Special B
50g Crystal 400
575g Pale Rye Malt
225g Oat Malt
350g Wheat Malt
150g Golden Syrup
55g Blackstrap

Mashed @ 69c - 60 Minutes / 72c - 30 Minutes
Boiled for 90 Minutes - 32g First Gold @ 90 Mins / 28g First Gold @ 20 Mins
Yeast: Belgian Strong Ale and London Ale III

OG: 1.070, expecting FG to be around 1.020. 6.5% ABV

First attempt at the Pineapple and apple WOW today using GV5 yeast. Bit worried as the quantity of sugar seems massive, but will top up to neck when it calms down a bit.

Bottled a cider yesterday made using re-used yeast from a Simply Cider kit that is now in the cold.

Running out of bottles so bought some more swing tops from The Range, and also fell for an American style IPA kit - as I needed the smaller bucket supplied in it for fruit wines later for £24

I know you guys don't rate the bottles too well so will see how they do. First annoying thing is they don't fit back in the box with the caps on!

Back