AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I don't often brew IPAs but occasionally I do get a craving for a brash, lurid hop hit. I came up with a DIPA recipe a while ago which I intend to brew for a competition in march so I thought I'd have a trial run with a slightly toned down version to satisfy my current hop desire.

It's a New England/Vermont/hop juice/milkshake style IPA, which differs from a typical American IPA in that it is less bitter, uses more tropical fruity hops, is fuller bodied, and has a distinctive almost opaque haziness. Anyway, enough ********, here's the recipe:

Vermont IPA

Batch Size: 26 L
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.8%
Colour: 7 SRM
Bitterness: 39 IBU

Grain
-----
5kg Pale malt
1kg Flaked oats
0.5kg Wheat malt
0.25kg Caramunich III

Hops
-----
30g Magnum @ 45 mins

10g Amarillo @ 5 mins
10g Citra @ 5 mins
10g Galaxy @ 5 mins
10g Mosaic @ 5 mins
10g Simcoe @ 5 mins

15g Amarillo @ 0 mins
15g Citra @ 0 mins
15g Galaxy @ 0 mins
15g Mosaic @ 0 mins
15g Simcoe @ 0 mins

25g Amarillo dry hop
25g Citra dry hop
25g Galaxy dry hop
25g Mosaic dry hop
25g Simcoe dry hop

Water Treatment (added to RO water)
-----
0.28g/L Calcium chloride
0.05g/L Gypsum

Notes
-----
Single step infusion mash at 67°c
Fermented at 18°c with Wyeast 1098 - British Ale
Half the dry hops added after 2 days then the remainder added 3 days later

I'm actually brewing this tomorrow morning so progress pics to follow...

Looks good - when I brewed this style I was amazed at how much bitterness (or perceived bitterness at least) I got from the late hops. I used a bit more than you though. It was supposed to be 30 IBUs but tasted more like double that.

What's the comp in march you are entering?

:cheers:

Looks good - when I brewed this style I was amazed at how much bitterness (or perceived bitterness at least) I got from the late hops. I used a bit more than you though. It was supposed to be 30 IBUs but tasted more like double that.

What's the comp in march you are entering?

You're right there, I did a late hop only beer a while back aiming for around 40 IBU and it definitely tasted more bitter than expected. I'm hoping it'll be balanced with the residual sweetness. My mash temp was a degree or 2 higher than I aimed for but that might actually be a good thing for this style.

Did you manage to get the milky appearance in your brew?

Edit to add: It's the Irish National Competition ran by the NHC, see details here.

I just ordered myself some of the Yeast Bay vermont ale for my next IPA.

I made one recently with WLP644, which I've heard folk use for juicy NE style IPAs, and it's probably the best beer I've ever made. I did all hops (200gr for 18 litres, with another 150gr dry hop) at 0 minutes (after cooling to 80C), with no bittering addition, and it really got the mouthwatering juicy feel, whilst still getting enough bitterness even without the boil. I'd estimate it was around the 40 IBU mark just from the 0 minute 80C addition. They definitely add quite a bit of bitterness when added then.

Due to that success I'm going to repeat the hop schedule for the vermont one. Like you I was going to add some oats and wheat this time, although was only thinking 0.25kg of each, along with 4.5kg of golden promise.

You're right there, I did a late hop only beer a while back aiming for around 40 IBU and it definitely tasted more bitter than expected. I'm hoping it'll be balanced with the residual sweetness. My mash temp was a degree or 2 higher than I aimed for but that might actually be a good thing for this style.

Did you manage to get the milky appearance in your brew?

Edit to add: It's the Irish National Competition ran by the NHC, see details here.

It looked like this just over 5 weeks after bottling.

Think I'll mash a touch higher when I make V2 in a few weeks, and I'm also thinking of cutting out the bittering addition all together.

Thanks for the link to the comp :thumb:

Hi Dan125 and Strange-steve.

Can i ask what sulphate:chloride ratios you used? as from reading this appears to be the key to getting the right soft mouthfeel and perceived bitterness.

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

All done. I over estimated the boil off and so ended up with 26L at OG 1.059 which is good enough for me. The aroma going into the FV was amazing, passion fruit, mango, orange and peach :drink:

I just ordered myself some of the Yeast Bay vermont ale for my next IPA.

I made one recently with WLP644, which I've heard folk use for juicy NE style IPAs, and it's probably the best beer I've ever made. I did all hops (200gr for 18 litres, with another 150gr dry hop) at 0 minutes (after cooling to 80C), with no bittering addition, and it really got the mouthwatering juicy feel, whilst still getting enough bitterness even without the boil. I'd estimate it was around the 40 IBU mark just from the 0 minute 80C addition. They definitely add quite a bit of bitterness when added then.

Due to that success I'm going to repeat the hop schedule for the vermont one. Like you I was going to add some oats and wheat this time, although was only thinking 0.25kg of each, along with 4.5kg of golden promise.

I bet with the 644 that was amazing, I'm definitely going to do something similar in the near future. I've also heard good things about the vermont yeast, unfortunately I couldn't get it or even wyeast 1318 which was my second choice. I didn't really want to use the 1098 but it was the best I could get, plus apparently it's the strain Trillium use for their IPAs so it can't be that bad.

Hi Dan125 and Strange-steve.

Can i ask what sulphate:chloride ratios you used? as from reading this appears to be the key to getting the right soft mouthfeel and perceived bitterness.

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

You're right, these typically reverse the SO4/Cl ratio so I did the same, I've gone for 0.2 which is very heavy on the chloride.

That looks like a great recipe Steve. I bet it will be delicious.

I just bottled my first NE IPA and it tasted and smelt incredible (if I do say so myself). My grain and hop bill was pretty similar although I only went for 400g of oats and 300g of wheat. This has still left it plenty hazy enough for me. I used the Brewlabs Sussex yeast strain which I can thoroughly recommend.

Mine worked out at about 45 IBU but with the soft mouth feel and minerals weighted towards the chloride it didn't even taste that much.

I used Admiral to bitter and then Mosaic, Galaxy and Falconer's Flight 7Cs for flavour and aroma. The aroma from the beer was 100% tinned peaches. Very in your face.

I'm going to have a play around with this style and try a 100% barley brew, without the adjuncts but with the chloride water profile, and early dry hopping additions to see what it comes out like. There was a Brulosophy experiment recently which suggested the haze may not be down to the oats/wheat as much as is suggested.

Anyway there's plenty to play around with a new style like this.

I bet with the 644 that was amazing, I'm definitely going to do something similar in the near future. I've also heard good things about the vermont yeast, unfortunately I couldn't get it or even wyeast 1318 which was my second choice. I didn't really want to use the 1098 but it was the best I could get, plus apparently it's the strain Trillium use for their IPAs so it can't be that bad.

When this is ready I will swap you a bottle for my black IPA with Vermont yeast, you can harvest it then.

That looks like a great recipe Steve. I bet it will be delicious.

I just bottled my first NE IPA and it tasted and smelt incredible (if I do say so myself). My grain and hop bill was pretty similar although I only went for 400g of oats and 300g of wheat. This has still left it plenty hazy enough for me. I used the Brewlabs Sussex yeast strain which I can thoroughly recommend.

Mine worked out at about 45 IBU but with the soft mouth feel and minerals weighted towards the chloride it didn't even taste that much.

I used Admiral to bitter and then Mosaic, Galaxy and Falconer's Flight 7Cs for flavour and aroma. The aroma from the beer was 100% tinned peaches. Very in your face.

I'm going to have a play around with this style and try a 100% barley brew, without the adjuncts but with the chloride water profile, and early dry hopping additions to see what it comes out like. There was a Brulosophy experiment recently which suggested the haze may not be down to the oats/wheat as much as is suggested.

Anyway there's plenty to play around with a new style like this.

I saw your post last night, looks like a cracking recipe. I've never thought of myself as a hop head but this style has maybe changed my mind.
I read that Brulosophy exbeeriment last week and what I found interesting was that there was no noticeable difference in mouthfeel with 18% oats :shock: I chose to go ahead with my recipe regardless :D

You're right, these typically reverse the SO4/Cl ratio so I did the same, I've gone for 0.2 which is very heavy on the chloride.

I hadn't heard/read about this, so was slightly sulphate heavy as usual for a hoppy brew.
I think a bit more research and a tweak could be needed for my V2

Latest posts

Back