Devil's Backbone Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest that someone starts a campaign to get spoons to get it back on tap....:whistle: he says slowly backing away from the keyboard :whistle:

Cheers Tom

I was told i was about the only person that drank it and i hardly go in there. For some reason they are now serving Shipyard like Guinness, virtually flat with a thick head.

What i've decided on as a mk1 is:

og1.051 fg 1.011 ibu 44.8(45) colour 7.5

4.7kg Weyermann (pilsner)
0.28kg Caramalt
0.4kg Torrified Wheat

(All Pellets)

15g East Kent Goldings (60mins)
14g Admiral (60 mins) (replaced with Target )

10 columbus 15mins
10 Centennial 15mins
10 Cascade 15 mins

20 Cascade f/o
30 Columbus f/o

dry hopping 7 days
10 Centennial
10 Cascade
10 Columbus

If anyone has any amendments they think i should adjust let us know
quantities are fixed as ive ordered the recipe, i can add more cascade as i have extra of that at home, but others are fixed

Torshon

Excellent @Torshon hope you don't mind me nicking your recipe for future use. :thumb:

So to add a little information, the Yeast I would try next time instead of the Nottingham might be safale 05 as I think it works better in the bottle, it's pouring cloudy I think it's the Yeast I used.

Glad it worked out well. Maybe try the crossmyloof US yeast. Its similar and drops very quickly. Big fan of US05 though, used it recently in Stouts and BIPA's.

Not got around to brewing it yet myself but below is the meat of an email from Jason Oliver, the brewer who worked with Banks to create it. Hope it's of some use............

Below are some instructions I gave another UK homebrewer who used a 40L system a while back in regards to the DB American IPA that you're familiar with:

My main suggestion would be to up the amount of hops, below is literally a scaled down hopping of the beer. We brew it at Banks's and use their yeast strain. I recommend using something similar but if you use dry yeast, the Fermentis 04 would work well. The grist is simple with 96% Boort Pale Ale malt and 4% malted wheat. Any high grade of English pale ale malt would work well. Standard infusion mash. Banks's mashes very high (69C) so do what works best on your system. ABV is 5.2%, SG 1.052, IBU's 35 (although I speculate it's higher). It's dry hopped twice, once in primary fermentation and once in conditioning.

I broke the hops down into grams per liter then multiplied it by your 40L batch size. The first two hop additions will look low. In fact I think you should add anywhere between 15-20% more hop per each addition, perhaps more. Larger systems get better efficiency & hop utilization. Banks's gets almost full hop utilization with the 10 minute before boil end addition, you will not. So I recommend upping all additions. This is a linear scale down but it won't taste the same. Take it into consideration.

This is a scaled down hop charge by weight for 40L.

Kettle hops:

Admiral at first wort - 10g
Admiral at 10 minutes before boil end - 11g

Cascade in whirlpool - 34g
Centennial in whirlpool - 50g
Goldings - 13g
Columbus - 16g

Dry hop in FV:

Cascade - 5g
Centennial - 5g
Admiral - 13g
Goldings - 13g
Coumbus - 5g

Dry hop CT:

Cascade - 14g
Centennial - 8g
Columbus - 8g

Balance this with your knowledge about how your home system works. Hopefully you can do something with this. Once again this is a linear breakdown, I would up the hops quite a bit.

Cheers. Tom

Back