My first mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribble

Buccaneer
Reaction score
I've just stated my very first home brew; two gallons of JAOM.

Having read lots of threads here and elsewhere, I did a slightly modified version. I hope it works out but it's going well so far.

I made a litre of yeast starter with cheap supermarket bread yeast and some go-ferm a couple of days ago. Today I did the main wort, per JAOM except I zested the oranges and discarded the pith. The honey was raw Spanish orange blossom. I still have about 10kg left :D

Three hours later it looked like this; a picture and two videos:

My brewing corner

DSC_0226a.jpg

Bubbling bubblers

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4KmZyKRLjQ[/ame]

Dancing Raisins

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAgLQNL21b8[/ame]

I'll start a longer-term brew later on, timing it so I can reuse my demijohns when this is ready to be racked into bottles.

Looks good :thumb:
I made the bog standard JAOM a few years back and was really impressed with how it turned out. Still got a bottle lying about somewhere.

I hope so... I'll know in three weeks when I try one of the bottles. I'm going to rack off the other one and age it for six months or so. Unless the first is so good that I think I don't need to, in which case I'll be getting drunk!

They are still bubbling slowly at the moment, everything looks good. I topped up the levels after a few days to just below the bungs.

Once I have some empty demijohns again, I'm going to try a BOMM.

I hope so... I'll know in three weeks when I try one of the bottles. I'm going to rack off the other one and age it for six months or so. Unless the first is so good that I think I don't need to, in which case I'll be getting drunk!

They are still bubbling slowly at the moment, everything looks good. I topped up the levels after a few days to just below the bungs.

Once I have some empty demijohns again, I'm going to try a BOMM.

The Dance of the Raisins will last for weeks, and the mead WILL clear at around 2 months. Do not bottle before that. The smell will be overwhelming, it will taste great, a bit hot. Better let it rest for a few more months, all edges will have smoothed.
Mead is not for the quick drinker :)

Back