Fibre Broadband Speeds..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As my other thread is specific to TalkTalk fast fibre users this is for all members with fibre.

This is what the checker throws up and i currently ger 11 Mbps on ADSL so i am hoping to get close to the maximum on VDSL. (limited to 38Mbps as i will be on faster fibre)

fibre.jpg

I use the Plusnet 50mbps fibre package. Just run the test and get 47.1 download and 12.2 up at 1.2km from the exchange. Their customer service has been consistently good so far (in fact they rang me up to tell me I could save money by moving package...) and I've experienced no more than an hour offline in almost 2 1/2 years with them.

We've had Virgin on our street digging the pavements up and putting fibre optic cables in and a new box. Each house gets a terminal outside..you then have to get it installed to your house via your supplier. I asked the workmen and they told me they use a mole machine to run the access underground.

We've had Virgin on our street digging the pavements up and putting fibre optic cables in and a new box. Each house gets a terminal outside..you then have to get it installed to your house via your supplier. I asked the workmen and they told me they use a mole machine to run the access underground.

Was there already a cabinet in the street?

I am no expert on the subject of fibre but it may be FTTP as described below (openreach)

Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) is a pure fibre connection all the way from the telephone exchange into your home or business premises that can deliver speeds of up to 1Gbps.

Our FTTP network is already the UK's largest, covering 345,000 premises. And we're not stopping there. It's our plan to reach two million homes and businesses by the end of 2020.

Mt PC is connected to the router by a 5m ethernet cable. I think this answers the question, if not what cabinet do you mean?

Sorry i meant a rough guess from your home to the nearest cabinet which should look similar to the one below.

fibre-street-cabinet.jpg

having moved from Sky to Plusnet i'm now getting 79Mb down and 20Mb up, unlimited for £30.00 per month. Very happy so far

We are on Virgin cable. Speed is pretty good,fairly reliable and box just up the road.
However Virgin is total **** for assistance if required:twisted:. Don't think much of their installation and upgrade staff either:twisted:
What they are good at is putting up the prices every November!.
Was going to change to BT but have heard some bad stories about those,spose better the devil you know!

I have never seen one of those.

After going outside and opening my eyes theres one about seven doors down from me that I think is the BT land line one and another 2 more that may be the virgin one. thats in a street of small-ish 3 bedroom semis.

Latest posts

Back