Totally Tropical Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my ingredients for a 12l brew of this. £33 for hops and yeast! :/ But I’ll have a fair chunk of the hops left over because I got 100g of each. Yeast Bay Vermont yeast is sitting on the stir plate, hopefully to brew on Wednesday if this yeast gets done as quickly as it promises to.

Good man. Will be interesting to see how yours turns out with the YBV yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, i’m looking forward to it. I was tempted by the YB Funktown, which seems to be a blend of Vermont and WLP644 Trois yeast. Maybe for another brew!

I brewed this today, and added Yeast Bay Vermont Ale Yeast. I had a taste of the “beer” from the yeast starter and it had a delicious pineapple taste. I reached 1.060 in the brew which I was impressed with, since I’ve started being careful with getting too much gunk into the fermenter. I do BIAB, and I’ve started pouring the cooled wort through the cleaned and boiled grain bag to try and filter it before going into the FV.

Bottled up. And for the first time , pineapple bouncing out the bottle .
Looking forward to this carbonating and supping a chilled one.

Pleased that you’ve got pineapple even using the US05 Yeast. I tasted my YB Vermont starter before pitching and that was overwhelmingly pineappley so I suspect the finished beer will be overwhelmingly so. I’m approaching 3 days fermenting and I really want to taste it! I’ll probably sample after 5 days to see how it’s going then probably increase the temperature slightly. Then maybe dry hop after a couple more days.

I hope both our brews live up to expectations! I’m already working out what to brew next. Perhaps the banoffee weizenbock from the same book. Something more weather appropriate.

Pleased that you’ve got pineapple even using the US05 Yeast. I tasted my YB Vermont starter before pitching and that was overwhelmingly pineappley so I suspect the finished beer will be overwhelmingly so. I’m approaching 3 days fermenting and I really want to taste it! I’ll probably sample after 5 days to see how it’s going then probably increase the temperature slightly. Then maybe dry hop after a couple more days.

I hope both our brews live up to expectations! I’m already working out what to brew next. Perhaps the banoffee weizenbock from the same book. Something more weather appropriate.

I’ve got to admit , the few times I’ve used US05 I’ve not been overly impressed !

The Banoffee Weizenbock does look good [emoji106]

I’ve got to admit , the few times I’ve used US05 I’ve not been overly impressed !

The Banoffee Weizenbock does look good [emoji106]

Had a bottle of this tonight. Fricking loving it . Can’t wait for another 3-4 weeks , I think this one is going to be much better than I thought !
How’s yours coming on ?

Glad to hear it! Yours might be at its best in a week maybe? With the amount of hops in this it’s only going to lose the character after carbonation levels are reached. I’ve not dry hopped mine yet. I was intending to do a second gravity reading tonight but I ended up drinking a bit too much of other beers so I’ll save it until tomorrow!

Tied it once. Really nice. Brilliant book, well written and in layman’s terms.

I've got some NZ hops in the freezer and was wondering if these would be a suitable substitue for the Amarillo? I defo have Motueka and Wakatu I think off the top of my head. I'm gonna make the Totally tropical Pale Ale next week after this run of night shift ends. Not sure if folk have paired Motueka and Citra but I'd be interested to hear if you think its a good combo and in what sort of ratios. The TTA recipe calls for a heap of Amarillo as a dry hop. I'd rather use up one or both of my NZ hops first before buying another 100g bag if I can - I tend to do small batches so while I'm likely to use most of a 100g bag of Citra in this one (then maybe do a SMaSH with the rest) I'd really like to make use of these others NZ hops first. Starting to accumulate hops in the freezer!

Thanks for any info!

I've got some NZ hops in the freezer and was wondering if these would be a suitable substitue for the Amarillo? I defo have Motueka and Wakatu I think off the top of my head. I'm gonna make the Totally tropical Pale Ale next week after this run of night shift ends. Not sure if folk have paired Motueka and Citra but I'd be interested to hear if you think its a good combo and in what sort of ratios. The TTA recipe calls for a heap of Amarillo as a dry hop. I'd rather use up one or both of my NZ hops first before buying another 100g bag if I can - I tend to do small batches so while I'm likely to use most of a 100g bag of Citra in this one (then maybe do a SMaSH with the rest) I'd really like to make use of these others NZ hops first. Starting to accumulate hops in the freezer!

Thanks for any info!
One way to find out, try one of them,possibly the motueka.Have used Motueka a few times and really like it.

Yeah that was always gonna happen :) Just wondered if people had tried them. The lime zest vibe might work well and the other hop is Rakau so I'd say it will work fine to complement those Citra flavours.

Should be making this either Thursday or Friday so I'll chime in again when its underway!

Made this last week - tasting bitter on the sample I tried last night but a nice fruity finish. Hoping that once it's fermented out and settled it might lose some bitterness (I had hop matter floating in the sample) but we shall see. It's gone done from 1.064 to 1.009 and still activity in the airlock so should finish at a good abv. but hopefully not too 'alcoholic' in taste. It might lose some finesse in the tasting!

I'll report back with final numbers - if anyone is using the Grainfather brewing community/app the recipe is listed as Totally Tallawah Pale Ale - I've made some changes to the recipe as posted earlier in this thread by @pvt_ak. Golden Promise was my main base malt and the NZ hops were used along with Citra. I used Yeast Bay Vermont yeast...full details on the GF recipe/app/community page.

I may tweak this one further amd make it again with only flameout and whirlpool hop additions but let's see how I get on!

I really enjoy this hobby!

Mine’s got more bitterness than I was expecting (finally ready to drink today, and i’m on my third already. Oops!). It’s murky as hell and doesn’t look very nice. Hopefully that’ll settle out before the hop character goes.

I’m still convinced it should be dry hopped with loads more. Perhaps something to try if I brew this again.

@sven945
I plan on serving my version of this at a New Years Eve party which will be approx. two weeks of 'bottle conditioning' time. I'll not really have time to do 'cold conditioning' other than giving it 24-48hrs around 3c (37f). The sample I tried was tasting good - bitterness present but a wonderful fruity hop aroma, soft mouthfeel and the bitterness didn't linger too long. I'm actully quite happy with it which is rare for me as I'm often quite critical of my home brew.

Had another bottle this week. It’s even better, seems to have mellowed out a little. The sharpness has dissipated and the ‘tropical element’ a lot smoother. The mouth feel and head retention is the best I’ve had in any beer I’ve made. This is the only one I’ve put oats in, would that be the reason ?

Very likely. Oats can improve mouth feel considerably.

Totally Tropical remains one of my best ever brews.

I really like mine, definitely something I'll brew again. I'll probably up the dry hopping a bit though. Also mine looks horrible! I'll get a photo when I next open a bottle, but it'll probably be the haziness from the oats and the Vermont yeast I used combined with the darkness from Munich which makes it look like puddle water. Next time I'll maybe drop the Munich. Perhaps give it some maltiness from using Golden Promise malt or something.

Latest posts

Back