A Narrow Escape

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those cola bottles and the like are secondhand. They had their share of abuse, and at one point no more trustworthy. New brew bottles (like most of mine) are either cheap China import, or less cheap Italian. You want Italian glass. Should last a decade or two, unless they're re-used every other week! That would mean grain-to-glass in 2 weeks, quite a feat on its own, mind you.

Good thing nothing serious happened :thumb:

Happy to read that no-one has been hurt. :thumb:

Personally, I hate glass as a product and treat it with ultimate respect.

With regard to Coke Bottles, there was a fad back in the 60's/70's of making old Coke Bottles into ashtrays. They were heated up to "cherry red" and then squashed in the centre with a press to make a small tray.

They were quite fashionable at the time, but if you have one in your home, pick it up very gently and throw it in the dustbin. Apparently they can shatter/explode at the slightest touch despite being "safe" for many years.

Gunge we were sitting downstairs and i hear this really loud bang. We had no idea what it was until later when i went upstairs and thought i could smell bread. I eventually clocked it was my yeast starter. It was in a borosilicate bottle and i had forgotten to loosen the lid. Luckily that was in the airing cupboard as could of been lethal. I now use a flask for starters.

Latest posts

Back