Poochops GF Brewday #8 Brewdog Jackhammer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poochops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Title: Jack Hammer

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 25 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.058
Efficiency: 85% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 7.22%
IBU (tinseth): 93.39
SRM (ebcmorey): 10.58

FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (87%)
0.25 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (4.3%)
0.5 kg - Cane Sugar (8.7%)

HOPS:
25 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.23
30 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 40.48
18.75 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 12.24
18.75 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 19.44
50 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Aroma for 0 min
25 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.3, Use: Aroma for 0 min
100 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 9, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
100 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
100 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 60 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Protofloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

Got this on this morning, an American style DIPA, the commercial version is a favourite of mine good and cold out the fridge.

Numbers were all over the place, used 15l strike water and 21.5 litres sparge, expected 31.5 in the kettle but only got 30 so my grain absorption was 30% higher than normal.
Post boil volume was 28 but should've been 27 using my pretty reliable 3l per hour rule of thumb.
28 litres in kettle shouldve put 25 in the fermenter but only got 23.5, like I say the numbers were all over the shop!
I was 300g short on sugar but got 1.062 OG, so efficiency was better than predicted, still I'm going to feed that 300g back in later before I pitch the yeast, CML American pale ale.
All in all an easy enough morning, bottling my AG Cwtch clone after lunch :)

That's some expensive dry hopping! 3x100g of probably the most expensive hops

I think the whole brew cost somewhere around £30 give or take a bob or two. Helped greatly by using 79p yeast and a bit of leftover DME. I justify the cost by having three brews in the pipeline that cost about 8 quid each so it all averages out in the end :thumb:

30 quid? Is that all? I was expecting it to be a lot more expensive. That works out at about 75p a pint. You aint gonna be paying 75p a pint in any brewdog pub you go in to. Plus I bet it tastes better than the beer you based your clone on too :thumb:

I think the whole brew cost somewhere around �£30 give or take a bob or two. Helped greatly by using 79p yeast and a bit of leftover DME. I justify the cost by having three brews in the pipeline that cost about 8 quid each so it all averages out in the end :thumb:

Do you have a source of cheap hops or am I getting fleeced. Cant see how you get to 30quid for the whole batch when the price I'd pay for your dry hops alone is over 20quid?

I didn't bother with the extra 300g of sugar before I pitched, it's been on 8 days at 22 degrees today, FG 1.016 so 74% attenuation which is a bit annoying. Checked back on my previous brews using CML American pale ale yeast and they've been similar at this mash temp, and 70% at 68 degrees. Going to try a different yeast next time I do an IPA.
Anyway decided to feed it 500g of sugar for another .008 of OG and added the dry hop, back in at 22 degrees.

Racked this off the dry hops into the bottling bucket two days ago so it had 10 days in total, 7 at 22 and 3 at 0.5 degrees, I skimmed off the floating hops prior to the cold crash and that filled a large sieve on its own, there must have been 3 litres of hoppy trub in the bucket, it smelled pungent to say the least! The yeast chewed through the extra sugar and a bit more besides, so the FG stands at 1.012, happy with that. It'll be around 7.6%, a bit stronger than planned but not too much. Attenuation now works out at 82% which is at the top end of the yeast and much higher than I've had previously with the same yeast. Just over 20 litres in the bottling bucket, plan to bottle at the weekend.

Bottled today, by my missus no less! Bonus :thumb:

48 grolsch bottles, well 49 but the odd one would have played havoc with my photo OCD. Very promising taste, gorgeous aroma and the colour is spot on. Should be ripe for the festive period.

IMG_1082.jpg

Enjoying a bottle of this now and it's turned out lovely, for comparison I had a bottle of the real thing first. Now BD use cryo hops in the boil for a 'theoretical' (whatever that means) IBUs of 200, mine has 93 according to Brewers friend and obviously the difference is apparent but even at 90 it's nicely balanced. Mine has a touch of sweetness and a slightly more silken mouthfeel, the hop character is bang on, both aroma and flavour. I would go more bitter next time and possibly use a bit more sugar and less malt to dry it out a tad more. Carbed with one drop per 450ml and it needs a bit more, going to recarb half a dozen with another whole drop and half a dozen with 1/2 a drop and see what we get.

Back