Greg Hughes Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look out for that off flavour then, as I have a light pseudo lager in the brewbag fermenting at the mo. I used about 27% ASDA cornflakes. It'll be a shame if that's what happens as it's a stupidly cheap brew to make.

Hope yours turns out OK. They were using some odd cereals I think it was things like, coco-pops, luck charms, other weird American brands.

Hope yours turns out OK. They were using some odd cereals I think it was things like, coco-pops, luck charms, other weird American brands.

Me too :-?

When I was investigating using cornflakes instead of flaked maize I also read of American brewers using cereals I've never even heard of.
If cornflakes dont work I've have a couple of other options to make light pseudo lagers. Sugar and/or amylse enzyme

Me too :-?

When I was investigating using cornflakes instead of flaked maize I also read of American brewers using cereals I've never even heard of.
If cornflakes dont work I've have a couple of other options to make light pseudo lagers. Sugar and/or amylse enzyme

What about rice? Don't Budweiser use loads of that in Bud Light? Just boil it up to gelatenise it and then chuck it into the mash.

What about rice? Don't Budweiser use loads of that in Bud Light? Just boil it up to gelatenise it and then chuck it into the mash.

Yeah, I think they use oads of rice syrup

Is it that simple? I knew you had to process it somehow but wasnt sure what you do. I think Americans have the options of something called minute rice too but I'm not sure we have the same thing here

That would definately be an option I'd try out if the cornflakes dont work

Is it that simple? I knew you had to process it somehow but wasnt sure what you do. I think Americans have the options of something called minute rice too but I'm not sure we have the same thing here

Rice needs to be cooked before adding to the mash at it doesn't release its starch until around 85°C. I think you just boil it till it is really fluffy and over cooked and then chuck it in to the mash.

Minute rice is pretty much the same as the famous brand pouch rice we get over here, it’s all pre-cooked.

I’ts between these two I guess,but the light lager may end up a bit stronger than that !

DD57E00C-D590-411D-9E84-E6D0E3166888.jpg

34DEDAC7-B47D-441A-B0EB-27AF4C62D736.jpg

The maize/rice is to lighten the body, wheras carpils is used to add body (and I think aid head retention) so you'll just be doing one thing to cancel the other out.

As for hops, the hops thats seem to work best for these light lagers are either spicy noble hops or fruity/citrusy type hops. The simcoe would work quite well I think

Thanks, Ive never used Simcoe, I bought a load in a night time purchase thinking I would make Punk IPA but it’s never happened , that’s why I have Ahathnum? Sorry for spelling 👍

Thanks, Ive never used Simcoe, I bought a load in a night time purchase thinking I would make Punk IPA but it’s never happened , that’s why I have Ahathnum? Sorry for spelling 👍

I bought some simcoe a while back because it actually makes a good bittering hops as it's got a low co-humolene content. I've switched to Magnum now though

Ive got a 100g of Pacific Gem I don’t know what to do with ? Bitter or later? Ive never heard anyone use it.
2012 crop but been in the freezer ?

B83A3BF7-6666-4C5D-82E1-00E87CCA7772.jpg

I've never used PG hops but I just did a quick google and opinions seem to be very divided on it. It seems to be quite a marmite hops. Some people absolutely hate it whilst other loved it

Latest posts

Back