New Zealand beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
So Im in NZ for a bit of an extended holiday, and now have a chance to try some beers I otherwise would never get to try. Last night I tried a Coopers extra stout...( I brew their products at home ) and that was really nice. Anyone been here before and tried anything I should keep an eye out for?

:thumb:

Anything which is brewed using Nelson Sauvin NZ grown hops. One of the very best hops the planet has yet evolved.

Anything from Mac’s brewery. I was out there January and theirs is the one I can remember.

Emersons (the Pilsner is an all time classic Kiwi beer), Tuatara, plus I totally agree with Epic, Garage Project, 8 Wired, Yeastie Boys and Liberty. So many great breweries for such a small population, just a shame it's not a bit cheaper!

The 8 Wired Hippy Berliner is quite decent. I don't think I've tried any other NZ beers.

I was just downtown Auckland for a bit of a walk about and stopped in a pub and tried a "Mikes" milk chocolate stout. Not bad...but the price!!! 12.00 nz dollars. Sheesh! I know I was right downtown near the waterfront but really.......

I went at the start of the year and had some amazing beers, Panhead Supercharger was probably the best.

If you're in Auckland try and visit Vultures Lane, it's a brilliant pub with plenty of top notch beers.

I was just downtown Auckland for a bit of a walk about and stopped in a pub and tried a "Mikes" milk chocolate stout. Not bad...but the price!!! 12.00 nz dollars. Sheesh! I know I was right downtown near the waterfront but really.......

That's crazy, think I got 6 500ml bottles for 20 at the brewery

Had a couple of bottles this
20170908_202157.jpg

Very nice they were

Had a couple of bottles this
20170908_202157.jpg

Very nice they were

I saw those on the shelf yesterday. Once I get to Kawakawa later on today I will go hunting for some...I have to learn to drive on the opposite side of the road..Since I stopped drinking and driving a few years ago, I havent had much experience...:whistle:

Mike's Organic Brewery, West Coast Brewery, McCashin Family, Matson's Brewery, Boundary Road Brewery, Harrington's Breweries, Crafty Beggars, Monteith's Brewing Co, Mac's, Renaissance Brewing Co, Hancock & Co Craft Brewing, Holgate Brewhouse ...

That was a small sample of the ones I managed while in NZ 2013. Oh and you will also get to enjoy Aussie beers (yes they are not *beeping* close to water anymore). Only thing I would say they tend to serve them colder, often more gas and some times a tad higher on the % than what we are used to.

EDIT to add: don't forget to enjoy the nature too, go and get lost on the South Island - utterly stunning !

Latest posts

Back