Where do you keep your "stuff"?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
As a relative newbie to cider making I have noticed that over the last year or so I have acquired quite a bit if "stuff".

Apple pulper and press, FVs, multiple demi-johns, bottles of various description, etc.

Most of these bigger items are in the garage but the likes of little bits such as sachets of yeast, pots of nutrient, stabiliser, sanitiser and things like syphon tube, thermometer, hydrometer, brushes etc are are still in the Wilko bag on the kitchen worktop.

SWMBO is less than impressed so I was wondering what kind of containers/organisers people used to store their "stuff"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All mine is out in the garage (which is in desperate need of reorganising / tidying up), small stuff is in a plastic box.

The larger stuff is under our house, fortunately we have a very accessible basement/solum. the smaller bit are in a big plastic box with smaller boxes within.

However my Winter project is to build my brewery in a corner of my garage/shed. and it will have plenty of shelf space and hopefully some kind of pigeon hole system.

if space is a problem what about one of the plastic boxes with wheels and a lid, just slide it under the bed, out of sight out of mind.

In the garage, either in a cardboard box, or some of the slightly bigger stuff in an empty FV.

The small stuff (jug, funnels, Syphon, scale etc) i keep in a large plastic storage box on top of my wardrobe. DJ's live on top of the fridge freezer when fermenting or clearing the others are in a kitchen cupboard and my FV sits on the side of the kitchen unit next to the draining board the space is too small for anything else so Mrs Tea soon got used to seeing it there.

In the space under the stairs. Apart from yeast/ pectolase/ nutrient / acid / finings / sod.met / glycerine etc etc... they occupy an entire shelf in the fridge - stuff the salad junk.

We rent a two bed house (one bed room and one room you'd struggle to swing a cat in) [emoji23] no garage but there is a plastic shed type thing. I have a large shelving unit in the spare room with everything of value on it and I keep my grain outside in the shed sealed up in a blue drum. The wife gets annoyed with the brewing stuff taking over but looking to move next year to somewhere a bit bigger!

All my brewing stuff is in a dedicated corner of my garage, yeast is in the fridge and hops in the fridge/freezer

20170807_194102.jpg

20170807_194123.jpg

We rent a two bed house (one bed room and one room you'd struggle to swing a cat in) [emoji23] no garage but there is a plastic shed type thing. I have a large shelving unit in the spare room with everything of value on it and I keep my grain outside in the shed sealed up in a blue drum. The wife gets annoyed with the brewing stuff taking over but looking to move next year to somewhere a bit bigger!

That's no way to talk about your wife however small she is!!!

I love the title of this thread. The quotation marks make it look like you're trying to hide drugs :lol:

I keep mine in an offshore holding company in the Bahamas. That way any questions about how much things cost can be answered with I don’t own it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SWMBO is less than impressed

I knew before I clicked on this thread this was the Source originator.

Since my Missues and kids have most of her **** throughout the house I have the box room which is generally mine with my computer and I keep brweing stuff in there even my brewing cool bag. Which has a brew in there now

I have a really small box room off my utility room that I just lined with catering shelves. I keep all my kitchen gadgets, spare dishes, other bits and bobs and of course, all my brewing stuff is in there. It's an incredible space and I'm lucky to have it.
I keep the dry ingredients in large open plastic bins (tied in bags). I use 'really useful boxes' for the smaller ingredients/equipment like caps, labels, etc. I have shelves of bottles, pressure barrels, etc. I am in dire need of a clean out though, because you can barely move in there at the moment and last night poor hubby bashed his head off something and has a big gash in his head now.
Yeasts live in my fridge. (Between yeast and beer to drink ,there is no room for actual food, hahah). Hops I have opened live in the freezer.

shed:
200 beers
60-80 empties
big wilco pot

wardrobe:
Bottling bucket & autosiphon & taps. I can only fit one in so the FV ahem always has to be in use.

Dining room:
trug & fv
80 liter box for ingredients DME, grain etc.
60 liter box for other stuff, hydrometer, co2 bike pump, sieve, funnel etc.

fridge:
hops & yeast

kitchen cupboard:
sugars & golden syrup. small mash pot

One shelve in the pantry for sugars, syrups, small grains and flavouring things. Four 5 kg grain buckets (the rectangle ones) stacked in the pantry as well. Big fv's in bathroom (I really meant to properly put them away, honestly!), full bottles in the pantry (short beers),and behind the fuse box closet (mead and long beers), 20 empty bottles in the trunk of my car (missus doesn't know it yet :oops:) together with 5 kgs of extra light dme. And the books next to the bed :)
And 4 plastic boxes with smaller stuff underneath the computerdesk in the spare bedroom.

Some things I managed to incorporate into the kitchen equipment, for instance the small scales and the big sieve.

i’m fortunate enough to have a double garage so all brewing gear is in there - the wife is happy as long as it all stays in there and doesn’t cross the imaginary boundary into the house. the little stuff is in an old fermenter bucket

shed:
200 beers
60-80 empties
big wilco pot

wardrobe:
Bottling bucket & autosiphon & taps. I can only fit one in so the FV ahem always has to be in use.

Dining room:
trug & fv
80 liter box for ingredients DME, grain etc.
60 liter box for other stuff, hydrometer, co2 bike pump, sieve, funnel etc.

fridge:
hops & yeast

kitchen cupboard:
sugars & golden syrup. small mash pot

It gets everywhere doesn't it? I did used to think I had it all under control but...

Utility room under the counter 3-4 stacked buckets, 2 no chill cubes
Utility room Under the sink, capper, cleaner, box with sugars, syrups, DME, and a load of foil packed hops, another box with bags, spoons, paddles, muslin, strainers, 100s and hundreds of caps, odds and sods. A box with all the gf metalware. Jugs, sieves.
Utility room brew cupboard on the wall, scales, bottle washer, water treatments, thermometers, starsan, gf spares, air locks, hydrometers, ph meters. Counter flow chiller on top.
On top the stacked washer/dryer is where my HLT lives.

Front room, box of speciality grains, box of speciality malts, about 60 bottles of sour beers that's swmbo's, all my conditioning beers currently 8 dozen.

Garage, brew fridge, bottle tree, a couple of hundred or more beers and about 150 empties.

Dining room has a bucket of beer in too, in secondary.

The GF currently sits where I can find a home because I'm mid brewing splurge at the mo, in three brews time it'll go in the shed for a break.

Basically it's everywhere downstairs except the kitchen. Even that's not true I've got the bottom drawer of the freezer stuffed with hops and the cheese shelf in the fridge is where the yeast lives.

I must do her head in but she doesn't complain bless her cotton socks :lol:

Latest posts

Back