Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
We enjoyed Now You See Me, and the sequel too.

Not seen it but the reviews I read weren't too glowing, not that that necessarily means anything. I think the twist turned a lot of people off.

I'm not a big movie watcher and me and my wife have quite divergent tastes so we don't often bother. We watched Hidden Figures recently though and both loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything really. Wife doesn't really like sci fi

A couple of movies that my Mrs and I both enjoyed recently are the aforementioned Sicario which is a great tense thriller, or if you want something a little lighter, more sentimental without being schmaltzy, then Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a beautiful film and Sam Neil is great in it.

I am in the same boat i cannot remember the last movie we watched together. :-?

Same here, our tastes are quite disparate so as a compromise we take it in turns to choose a movie. I've endured some utter garbage* (I'm sure she'd say the same about my picks) but occasionally we do find something we both enjoyed.

* Moulin Rouge was a particular low point for me. A more pretentious and vapid pile of s**t I've never encountered.

Has anyone here joined Cinema Paradiso after Amazon did the dirty and bought LoveFilm only to close it down? I'd been a LoveFilm member since they were 'DVDs on tap' and haven't yet decided whether to jump to CP.

Don't even try to recommend streaming. It's a fraction of the quality of a Blu Ray.

Without spoilers could I ask if the new one is an copy of the original, I have seen a short clip (not trailer) and the streets, low flying thing with the advertising screen and the guys voice coming out of it looked and sounded exactly the same, loved the original so will not be too bothered if it's near identical.

What Steve said. It's a sequel, and a worthy one.

Has anyone here joined Cinema Paradiso after Amazon did the dirty and bought LoveFilm only to close it down? I'd been a LoveFilm member since they were 'DVDs on tap' and haven't yet decided whether to jump to CP.

Don't even try to recommend streaming. It's a fraction of the quality of a Blu Ray.

I wasn't familiar with it but after having a look at their back catalogue I've just signed up, an amazing selection so thanks for the heads-up!

With such a melange of people on the forum I'm sure I'm not the only one, so what are you watching, or have you watched recently?

Hi Strange Steve. Not a recent film but one of my favourite ever is 'Watchmen'. I don't know if you'll have heard of that one. :) I think it's a brilliant scene for scene recreation of imagery of the graphic novel. Who watches the Watchmen? I do.

Hi Strange Steve. Not a recent film but one of my favourite ever is 'Watchmen'. I don't know if you'll have heard of that one. :) I think it's a brilliant scene for scene recreation of imagery of the graphic novel. Who watches the Watchmen? I do.

Ah yes I think I've heard of that :D
Actually I think it's a very underrated movie. Even as a massive fan of the graphic novel I think Snyder did an amazing job. Yes there is a lot left out of the movie, but that's true in all adaptations and I think it's as good as any adaption of such an epic book could be. Also the criticism about the changed ending I think is unwarranted, it was the right decision in my eyes, the book's ending wouldn't have worked so well on screen I reckon. And it just looked fantastic, especially the opening montage, that was ingenious. Hack Snyder gets a lot of flak (sometimes deservedly so) but there's no doubt the man has a great eye for visuals, and this is one of my favourites too.

Never heard of this film until recently and watched it and really enjoyed it

Dead mans shoes

It is a british film but its a revenge movie where a guy from the forces returns to his home town after serving to take revenge on a gang that abused and tortured his mentally disabled brother while he was away.

It isn't a big high budget movie and is a little dark but I really enjoyed it for what it was.. A little hidden gem.

I've enjoyed most Shane Meadows films but DMS is my favourite. First time I watched it I had no idea what it was, and thought it was a comedy after half an hour. How wrog I was! Paddy Considine is superb in this, genuinely menacing.

I've enjoyed most Shane Meadows films but DMS is my favourite. First time I watched it I had no idea what it was, and thought it was a comedy after half an hour. How wrog I was! Paddy Considine is superb in this, genuinely menacing.

I really enjoyed This Is England and I like Paddy Considine, would be interesting to see him in a non-comedic role.

Ah yes I think I've heard of that :D
Actually I think it's a very underrated movie. Even as a massive fan of the graphic novel I think Snyder did an amazing job. Yes there is a lot left out of the movie, but that's true in all adaptations and I think it's as good as any adaption of such an epic book could be. Also the criticism about the changed ending I think is unwarranted, it was the right decision in my eyes, the book's ending wouldn't have worked so well on screen I reckon. And it just looked fantastic, especially the opening montage, that was ingenious. Hack Snyder gets a lot of flak (sometimes deservedly so) but there's no doubt the man has a great eye for visuals, and this is one of my favourites too.

I totally agree with you about the Watchmen ending, in fact I think it works better than the graphic novel. I imagine Alan Moore was not happy though. I don't think he's a fan of hollywood movies. ;)

Last night I saw Wonder Woman for the first time, and I have to say after all the great things I heard about it I was really disappointed. It is a well made movie and it looks good (apart from the overuse of slow mo) but I found the story rather boring and the characters bland. It isn't a typical all action superhero movie, which is fine, but the non action scenes weren't interesting.

In comparison to Logan which developed the characters really well in the quieter moments of the film, I thought these characters were very underdeveloped, especially the bad guys. The exception actually was Chris Pine, I thought he did a good job and his character was probably my favourite. But back to the bad guys, I mean Ares the god of war as the main villian, that could have been brilliant, just think what they could have done with that! Yet it all boiled down to two characters throwing stuff at each other for 20 mins.

As I said, disappointing. This is of course just my opinion, I know a lot of people loved it so maybe it's just superhero fatigue setting in. I do consider myself a fan of the genre but my love for it is fading and this movie didn't help.

Watched Assassins Creed on Saturday night, well made but rather disappointing I thought, didn't think much of the games also! Sad about Love Film - I was a member for years and watched a lot of good films in that time. I'm lucky as I can stream SD & HD movies OK, but not everyone can and Love Film was a boon to folk with slow broadband. So I'm trying Netflix for a few months.
Cheers

I wasn't familiar with it but after having a look at their back catalogue I've just signed up, an amazing selection so thanks for the heads-up!

Just received my first two discs from cinema paradiso, The Third Man (one of those classics that I've never seen) and Three Colours: Blue, the first part of Kieslowski's Three Colours trilogy, thanks again Foxbat for the recommendation.

Latest posts

Back