Which system should I buy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I thought so that DMS problem might be marginal and I should't worry about it.
About cold crashing there is nice last post from brulosophy http://brulosophy.com/2017/11/20/th...ous-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/
TLDR: His result was that it does not matter if you do it or not ;) I also do not care much about some precipitations in my bottles. I used also irish moss which was giving good results.

I finally bought Klarstein. I had a good offer for my agitator system + plate chiller so in the end I am in +$$$ :D

Yeah, I thought so that DMS problem might be marginal and I should't worry about it.
About cold crashing there is nice last post from brulosophy http://brulosophy.com/2017/11/20/th...ous-beer-characteristics-exbeeriment-results/
TLDR: His result was that it does not matter if you do it or not ;) I also do not care much about some precipitations in my bottles. I used also irish moss which was giving good results.

That exbeeriment was pretty useless really, seeing it was a cold fermented lager with no dry hopping, with both of them basically cold crashed by being cold conditioned for three weeks in a keezer ;-)

You might have a point here :)

I just faced another problem, as I moved to another apartment I have only kitchen for my brewing now. During the boil step I will get a lot of steam, any tips how to handle this? My kitchen fan probably can't deal with so much steam. I rememeber I was brewing few times in the bathroom and ended up with yellow walls and ceiling which I had to clean up very hard later. On the balcony there is around 0 C degree so it would be hard to keep temp there and boil efficiently. Suggestions? :)

That exbeeriment was pretty useless really, seeing it was a cold fermented lager with no dry hopping, with both of them basically cold crashed by being cold conditioned for three weeks in a keezer ;-)

Hi!
The experiment was to investigate cold crashing in the primary vessel.
In the comments that follow the article:

Kyle
If you cold conditioned them werent they both technically cold crashed?

Marshall Schott
That’s always the case, indeed, but the variable here was really cold crashing in primary vs. not.

I just faced another problem, as I moved to another apartment I have only kitchen for my brewing now. During the boil step I will get a lot of steam, any tips how to handle this?

Hi!
Boil with the lid on, leaving only a small gap for the steam to escape.

On the balcony there is around 0 C degree

You could wear an overcoat :grin:. Insulate your boiler with an exercise mat. As long as it isn't windy you should get a decent boil.

Isn't it important to boil that steam can escape freely from the wort? With all unwanted substances?

Isn't it important to boil that steam can escape freely from the wort? With all unwanted substances?

Hi!
Try this http://brulosophy.com/2016/10/31/the-boil-lid-on-vs-lid-off-exbeeriment-results/

There are members who boil with the lid on, or partially on: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30309

I brewed one day when the wind was getting stronger as the day proceeded. I couldn't get a rolling boil without partially covering the boiler. The resulting beer tasted fine.

My missus bought me a grainfather which was delivered today. Can't use it until me birthday on the 17th though.

Could you suggest that since you won't be drinking anything made with the GF until the New Year, you should be allowed to play with it?:thumb:

Hi!
The experiment was to investigate cold crashing in the primary vessel.
In the comments that follow the article:

Kyle
If you cold conditioned them werent they both technically cold crashed?

Marshall Schott
That’s always the case, indeed, but the variable here was really cold crashing in primary vs. not.

What I am saying is that it is not conclusive evidence that cold crashing is pointless, when you basically have two cold crashed beers with one being cold crashed a little longer than the other. I would be surprised if one did taste or look different than the other.
If the instance was that you bottled your beers and put them in the fridge a day before you drink them, then from my experience it does make a difference.
Regardless of using Irish Moss.

Back