Strange Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA on Saturday. I aerated well and the yeast I used was WLP001.

I checked gravity yesterday and it had only moved from 1.060 to 1.047, despite plenty of krausen and vigorous airlock activity. I checked again this morning and it had dropped to 1.035 in the space of 12hrs.

It is fermenting, but very slow.

Issues that I am aware of -

-pH was 5.6. I usually hit 5.1-5.2.

-Wort cooler had a small leak where hose meets copper, and the drips may have ended up in the cooling wort, although I fixed this during the aroma steep, so temp was 70°+ during the leak.

- my starter went mental in the flask, and over-spilled. So my yeast count may have been off a little.

- my starter was made a week before brew day rather than 2 days before.

Anyone got any ideas what would cause a slow fermentation, and could this have implications on the beer?

On its own it's decent. But from Saturday to Wednesday it only dropped from 1.060 to 1.047.

Normally after 3-4 days, the bulk of fermentation is done.

Perhaps it's not strange after all lol.

Just different from what I'm used to.

[emoji106]

I mostly use cml now. I find they kick off within 12 hours,go mental for up to 4 days,usually less. Then seem done but on closer inspection (shine a light through the fv) they continue to micro bubble for up to a fortnight. I only take a fg after around 12 days so as to determine and plan bottling.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/05/07/mash-ph-and-why-it-matters-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

There's a line here that says lower ph is better for yeast health so maybe it just took a while to get going for that reason. Instinctively I can also buy the idea that a week old starter had sort of gone to sleep a bit too.

Did the airlock take any longer than usual to start up (i.e. was it a longer lag phase than usual?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds likely. So it got going as you'd expect just has gone slowly. Hope it finishes up fine for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now down to 1.016 and, I guess, still going. I'll have to hold off the rack to secondary for dry hopping.

Fingers crossed

Back