Powell Brewing Mash Run vs Thermo Pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrboxpiff

Reaction score
I have previously posted this else where so apologies if you've seen it before.[emoji3]

Having already got a 70 litre boiler from Powell which I'm delighted with, I'm about to purchase one of the above with a false bottom. I'd be very interested to hear people's experience and advice with either with particular note to how well they hold the mash temp. Also which sparge method do you use with it?
Thanks in advance
Mrboxpiff

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

I did a DIY job on a thermopot from bergland (there's a thread about it somewhere on Jim's). Was straight forward to convert one and good fun really. It's a 50L tun but I only brew 25-30L batches- the idea being that when I upgrade one day I only need a bigger boiler [emoji106] so with it barely full for a small batch it holds temperature perfectly well. I lose around 1.5-2degrees over 90 mins.

I did a DIY job on a thermopot from bergland (there's a thread about it somewhere on Jim's). Was straight forward to convert one and good fun really. It's a 50L tun but I only brew 25-30L batches- the idea being that when I upgrade one day I only need a bigger boiler [emoji106] so with it barely full for a small batch it holds temperature perfectly well. I lose around 1.5-2degrees over 90 mins.

how much was the pot direct from Berglands ?

how much was the pot direct from Berglands ?

Was €79.90 for the 50L thermopot and €12.90 postage (shipping for two pots though). So about £80 at the current exchange rate. Bought the bottom drain kit and 3 piece tap from the brew builder which was a lot but I couldn't source the bits any cheaper. And for a false bottom I used a sheet of perforated stainless ordered from eBay- £20 roughly, which included the seller cutting it to the exact diameter I needed with a plasma cutter [emoji106]

View attachment IMG_5211.JPGView attachment IMG_5210.JPGView attachment IMG_6225.JPG

Could you post the ebay link for the perf sheet please ? :D

Looked on my eBay and the seller (Andreka1) doesn't list it anymore. Might be worth a pm though to see if they have any. They were a supplier selling off cuts basically. I used 1mm thick 304 grade stainless with 1.5 mm holes. Works well but does let some really fine stuff through if you're not careful. If I was buying again I'd be tempted to try 1mm holes.

Looked on my eBay and the seller (Andreka1) doesn't list it anymore. Might be worth a pm though to see if they have any. They were a supplier selling off cuts basically. I used 1mm thick 304 grade stainless with 1.5 mm holes. Works well but does let some really fine stuff through if you're not careful. If I was buying again I'd be tempted to try 1mm holes.

I mash in a bag so thats not really an issue :)

Latest posts

Back