Maxi 110 chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trunky

Reaction score
In anticipation of picking a maxi 110 chiller up can anyone tell me how to set one up? Is there anything I need to know - at the moment I know nothing.

dead easy... fill it with water until it just starts to drip from the overflow spout... hook up your keg outlet line to the line in No1 on the chiller... run a tube from line out No1 to your tap :thumb:

if you've got more than one line... you've just got to make sure your lines match. 1in-1out 2in-2out..

you can do a loop with a short piece of pipe from outlet 1 to inlet 2 with your keg on inlet 1 and tap out outlet 2 to send the beer around the cooler twice for a super chilled beer... but i find that's just way too cold (brain freeze cold) if the line run from the chiller to the tap is only a couple of meters

hope this helps :thumb:

Thanks, that helps a lot, I hadn't thought about recirculating through the second coil, interesting :hmm:

I take it that the coils are 3/8ths pipe so there is little point in using anything other than 3/8ths to the chiller, any advantage in using 3/16ths from the chiller to the tap?

the coils are really, really long as i get about 3 or 4 pints held in my lines and i've only got a yard of pipe to and from the chiller. so if you were having problems with foam and needed 3/16th, you shouldn't now :thumb:

does it have one of those Python thingies for chilling the taps. If it does you will have to either disconnect the internal pump or set it up in a loop so it doesn't pump chilled water all over your floor

trunky said:
No water re-circ on this one, so no wet floors :)

You sure about that trunky?....My Maxi 110 is single product with recirc...I thought they were all like that?

Oggys Bar said:
trunky said:
No water re-circ on this one, so no wet floors :)

You sure about that trunky?....My Maxi 110 is single product with recirc...I thought they were all like that?

No I aint sure, looking at this again, the 110 is a single product cooler and there IS water recirculation. I had presumed (wrongly) that it was a two product cooler. I am in two minds over this - since the main purpose was for chilling cider/lager then it means I can use one of those fancy chilled fonts :thumb: Or I can use the water re-circ for some other purpose, as yet unknown.....

I think V1 has incorporated a 110 in a fermentation cabinet. The heat produced heats the cupboard and he has a cooling prod of his own making sits in the wort and cools it on a temp controller. Or at least I think thats what I saw when he posted pics a few months back.
It will still be great for your cider font. You could always build a Kegerator out of an old freezer for your ale which has a different serving temp range from lager and Chewy apple product. Depends how much room you are allowed to play with beer. I think you said you were converting a shed.

I have a 2 line cooler with a recirc loop.
I use the recir loop like Frisp says, to keep my fv at a temp during fermentation in conjunction with a ATC 800. I connect the recir loop to a product coil in my fv. If you search for 'product coil' on e-bay you'll find em, alternatively, Norman (of corny fame) sells them. Mine, see below, is an extra long dual coil, singles are more the Norm.
This(far left pic) is my fv lid showing the product coil in place. When using smaller fv's I used to use one of the Rab Maxwell style chillers, pic far right.

CIMG1827225x300.jpg
2ndAugust2008019400x300-1.jpg
CIMG0148300x225.jpg

That's not a bad idea for the FV, I don't know if I'll need it as my 'beer area' is a cellar - temps might be OK in the summer. I might add a switch to turn off the re-circ pump when it's not required.

For now, I am on the look out for a font that uses water re-circ.

Even if you don't need it to regulate your FV temperature...it does a splendid job of reducing the fermented wort temperature to about 5c, thus rapidly dropping the yeast etc to give a very clear beer. (about 24h)

Back